Tuesday, July 31, 2012

No July 31?

It's Tuesday, the day I dig into the archives (and give myself a day off from coming up with something new). And it's my birthday. 

So, I found my birthday post from two years ago (that would be 2010). Enjoy.

I don't know why these things come up, but as this was rather timely, I thought I'd share.

On Monday, I went over to help my 9-year-old niece clean out her closet. As she did the work, I blathered on about random things.

I told her about the time when I was a child that I was paranoid about July having 31 days. My child brain reasoned that since February sometimes has a 29th, then perhaps other months could lose their last day. My niece thought that this logic was crazy, and she said so.

Of course, I was assured by my parents that July would always have 31 days. And now I see the craziness of the thought. (I was a small child. I had many crazy worries.) I hadn't thought of this for years.

Nothing quite like trying to entertain a child to bring out such strange memories.

Happy Birthday to me.

4 comments:

  1. It's good that she was doing the work while you talked. I suspected if it were my niece, things would've been the other way around. =)

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the sky never fell. That's terrifying to a child when the sky falls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had nobody told you the "30 days hath September" rhyme? That would've reassured you.

    I used to think cars could tip over when turning if the people on one side were heavier than the other side. I know--dumb.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.