Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Proof

I was back at the continuation high school today.  (I know, I practically live there.)  I was covering another math class. 

I went over the examples, and then I passed out their worksheets.  In second period, I had two students who refused to do the assignment.  They said they were finished with the class. 

At the continuation high school, this is a real possibility.  They may have earned all the credits they need for math, and they're waiting to switch into a class where they still need credits.  But I had instructions for them: "The students who have finished with their contract are responsible for doing the worksheet." 

The two boys in second period weren't having any of it.  They were done.  I explained what the lesson plan said.  They didn't believe me.  They wanted to see it. 

I have done this sort of thing before.  I pulled out the lesson plan, and I took it to them.  I pointed out where it said they were supposed to work on the worksheet anyway. 

They looked.  They read.  They tried to claim that the lesson plan wasn't from their teacher.  (Yeah, because I would go to all that trouble--typing the thing out, formatting it, and all.)  In the end, they had to admit that those were the instructions from their teacher. 

Did they then do the assignment?  Of course not.

2 comments:

  1. You couldn't do any more. It's not really something you'd sent a student to the office for. I've had people who've refused to work from time to time. I just leave a note for the teacher.

    I'm going to be a math tutor sub tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that they were just giving excuses. I just think this sort of thing is funny.

    Good luck with the math tutor thing (although you'll be done with it by now).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.