Thursday, September 16, 2010

Growing Up

It was 3rd period, which is just after snack.  Snack was extended today (long story), so they had had a break of nearly a half hour.

On Monday, Jake just had to use the restroom right away.  As he had had all of snack to do that, I wasn't feeling like his need had to be all that dire.  Sure enough, after 10 minutes of class elapsed and I gave him a pass, he was no longer in a hurry to leave.  He finished up the problem he was on before going.

Today, the first thing he said to me was, "The bathrooms were locked, so I couldn't...do cocaine."

Very funny.

I've been waiting for an excuse to write about Jake.  The last time I had him in a class, that class was opportunity.  Last year, he aged out (turned 16) and was admitted to the continuation high school proper.  (Two posts where he's mentioned: Chasing a Raccoon and The Ringleader.)

Problem was, Jake hasn't done anything particularly post-worthy.  He started flirting with a girl.  She moved to sit next to him.  The instructional assistant caught them and moved the girl back.  End of story.

It's been like that all week.  Just when I think he's going to do something that'll make a good blog post, he doesn't.  He picks the responsible student option.  And he does his work.  Quietly.

I heard that once the opportunity students mainstream back into regular classes, they lose some of their attitude.  It's nice to see that this is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.