Friday, September 27, 2024

The New Cell Phone Rules

Because cell phones are an ongoing problem, at the end of the last school year the teachers at the middle school got together to come up with a school-wide policy. 

When I started this long-term assignment, I was filled in on the policy, and I've been enforcing it since the beginning. 

Basically, the students must leave their cell phones in their backpacks. (In the science class, the rule has been that the students leave their backpacks in the back of the room during class.) If I see the phone, I can take it. Depending upon how many infractions the student has, they can get it back at the end of class, or they must retrieve it from the main office. 

(I hear the 8th graders have really hated this policy, but the 7th graders don't know it was ever different.) 

I have not had to confiscate many phones. I remind the kiddos to keep them in their backpacks, and most have complied.

Thursday. Sixth period.

It was test day. We did a review Kahoot! I decided to award the winners prizes. Second place winner came up to get her prize... with her cell phone in her hand. Deep sigh.

It was her first offense, so she got the phone back at the end of the period. On the one hand I felt bad. She got punished for getting a prize. But then again, her phone wasn't where it was supposed to be.

A bit later, another student was called to the main office. The rest of the class was taking the test. When the student returned, I went over to her to let her know what she needed to do with the test. That's when I spied her cell phone sitting on her chair...

So, I got to confiscate another cell phone from another girl who hadn't given me any issues. Another deep sigh.

I guess I have to remind them daily to put their cell phones away in their backpacks. (I do actually announce it as the students arrive in class daily.) At least they're not using them in class, but it's a matter of time.

Because, they're not "forgetting" to put them away. They're sneaking them. They want the phones on them "for emergencies". And I understand. But I also know they don't have the maturity to leave them alone, so they really need to keep them away during class.

While the class was taking their test, I walked the room. I heard music. It was a phone ringing. From a backpack. 

I left that one alone. The phone was where it needed to be. And the ringing stopped after just a bit.

10 comments:

  1. We use Kahoot at work sometimes as a meeting ice breaker. I find it fun. I'm just curious about the student who had their phone near them when they were taking a test, and if there is a policy for that other than taking the phone away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a good policy, they just need to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go to the office to call my mom when I was sick in school. It worked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my older daughter was in high school — her best friend got a new phone (one of the early smartphones). My daughter asked to see the phone. The assistant principal walked by while my daughter was playing with her friend’s new phone. I had to retrieve the phone from the AP’s office, my daughter asked me to do it because she didn’t want her friend to get into trouble for something she did.

    (That friend is now a pediatrician, so that tells you how long ago this happened … )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie: We play the Kahoot game at work sometimes, usually a form of trivia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just reading the title made me go "Oh, this is going to be an ordeal." Separating middle schoolers from their phones. (shudder) High school must be worse, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those "emergencies" that pop up all day long. I overheard a mother tell her kids (probably middle school) that there was no way she'd allow the school to say her little preciouses couldn't have their cell phones on a field trip. How did we all get by without our "emergency" phones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following the phone policy with interest, and support the idea of keeping schools cell phone free during school hours. The kids already get a ton of screen time when not at school, so I think the policy is healthy for them. Unfortunately, it puts extra burden on you teachers to enforce it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really glad that so many schools are going cell phone free during school hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the local district is starting with a no phones during class policy of some kind.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.