Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Impassioned Plea

Computer science. Sixth period. 

It was the Thursday before spring break. (We had Friday off.) They had been working on this job interview unit, but they weren't making much progress, so the plan was to continue to give them time to complete their resume and some online "how to interview for a job" modules. 

The phone rang. 

"Is Viola in class?" 

Knowing vaguely who that was, I turned to the students. "Viola?"

Viola waved her hands frantically in "I am not here". 

The teacher on the phone, Ms. D, asked if Viola was busy in class, because if she wasn't, could I send her to her English class to make up a test on The Great Gatsby

Viola was motioning violently, albeit quietly, begging me to say that she was, in fact, busy. 

Technically, she was. She was missing several assignments that she needed to complete. But would she? She and the boy next to her were deep in conversation, but not the kind of conversation that leads to doing classwork.

So, I had a choice. And I was leaning towards making Viola do that test. Waiting to take it until after spring break wouldn't help her, and it wasn't like she'd be using my class time productively. 

I held the phone to my shoulder and discussed it with Viola. As soon as I called her name, she knew who was on the phone and what she wanted. I pointed out that it would be better to get this test out of the way now rather than later, like after spring break.

Once Viola realized I wasn't going to tell Ms. D that she couldn't come, Viola begged for ten minutes. I agreed that was reasonable, so I relayed that information to Ms. D, and I hung up the phone.

"Did you read the book?" I asked.

She said she had seen the movie several times. (Insert my eye roll here.) 

She took the ten minutes to study up, and then off she went. 

About an hour later she returned. Happy. "I'm pretty sure I aced it." 

She agreed it was better to get it out of the way. "I'd probably fail it if I took it after the break." 

Yup, I knew this. I'm glad she realized I was right.

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

11 comments:

  1. Consider it a teaching moment victory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny she expected you to cover for her. She did learn a lesson though, which made it worth it. Hope she remembers that lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but many of the students do expect me to cover for them in various ways. They forget that I'm the adult in the room, and my loyalty is to the staff.

      Delete
  3. Well, you can get through the movie a lot faster than the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice when I read you had a win. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They happen occasionally. Usually they're not nearly as entertaining as the losses, though.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. That's enough, right? That should be enough ;)

      Delete
  6. She was lucky to have you. Glad she took the test but I doubt she aced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not asked her since it's been graded, so I don't know. At least she got it done.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.