Friday, January 13, 2023

End of Semester

The last day before winter break was chaos. But, I was expecting chaos, so I wasn't surprised.

The school is on a block schedule, so all eight periods don't meet on the same day. Except for this day. On this day, they all met.

We were supposed to have a fire drill, but it got cancelled. 

The students were all already hopped up on sugar. Cookies. Candy. 

And the teachers planned nothing for the day. I mean, why would they? The classes weren't really long enough to do anything, and grades were due in the afternoon, so nothing they did was going to count anyway.

Mrs. G gave her class Oreos. Mr. S boiled water so his classes could make hot chocolate. (As a co-teacher, I had one period with Mrs. G and three with Mr. S.) 

And then there was the parade. The school has started doing a holiday parade around the school. We all got out of class to watch other students walk by. (Sadly, the band was in the parade, but they didn't play anything.) 

Some of the parade participants threw candy at the crowd. (More sugar.) At least the cheerleaders danced. 

I had two periods in the learning center. But unlike on finals days, it was dead in the room. We had two students. One was busily trying to make things up and get them in to pass his classes. And one played on his phone.

It was about what I expected. Weird day. But I got paid to be there.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Liz - sad, sad for the students - though they probably don't realise, but at least you're paid ... have a good weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The band is in the parade... but they don't PLAY? Are the instruments just for decoration???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like NONE of your days are ever the same and weird in every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely a variety to the job. That's one of the things I like about it.

      Delete
  4. Sugar. Cookies and hot chocolate. Parades without music. Don't remember much of that in my school life - well, maybe after the early grades. Interesting how things change with the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, most of this is new. I think they said they did the parade last year (for the first time). Although the treats are a day before a break thing.

      Delete
  5. I love parades, but not the dead ones, where people don't dress up, don't dance, just kind of walk along waving sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they really need to step up their game on this.

      Delete
  6. Everyone likes cookies, happy 2023 :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.