Friday, July 30, 2021

Caught His Attention

The last class of the day is "credit recovery". I only have one student, Brandon. He's making up English 9. 

Our schools do social promotion, so even if a student fails their classes in ninth grade, they go on to tenth. But they don't graduate unless they've passed all their required courses. Credit recovery classes are available for those students who failed a course and need to retake it.

Credit recovery generally means Odyssey. At least, that's the way they do it at the continuation high school. And that's what the kiddos do at the traditional high schools for the credit recovery classes that are offered before and after school. 

After a couple days in class, it was clear that Brandon wasn't doing any work in Odyssey. He slept a lot of the time. (And he's not easy to wake. I ended up having to smash my water bottle on his desk. This was after I had tried calling his name, knocking on his desk, and shaking him by the shoulder.) And even though I offered to do the assignments with him, he spent most of his awake time watching videos online. 

Last Thursday he walked in with a book. 

He flipped through this book. He was going to get to the class work "in a minute", but he just wanted to look at the book that Mr. T had loaned him.

Well, it is an English class. I told Brandon he could get credit for reading the book that period. He read. I gave him a reading log to fill out. And he filled it out. 

Alas, the book only took him two days to finish. (It was a graphic novel about Nat Turner. Considering his reading level, a graphic novel is the sort of thing to help Brandon get into a story. And this is the sort of history he's interested in.) 

Now if only I could find something he'd enjoy reading for the last week. (By the time you read this, the summer session will be over. But, if you know of any similar books Brandon might enjoy, I'll pass along the recommendations.) 

17 comments:

  1. Well, reading and learning American history at the same time! Is that book part of a series? Does this Mr. T have more like it? How very difficult for the students, moved up yet not prepared for the harder work in the next grade. I do understand the concept of "social" promotion, and it is important to stay with one's peers, it just seems to put so much pressure on them. I mean, honestly, if they can't handle English 9, how are they expected to pass English 10? Don't they just fall further and further behind until graduation time comes and there's no way to catch up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. T is looking for more books like it. And yes, they do fall further behind, which is why many of those students end up at the continuation high school, of which I have written quite a bit in the past.

      Delete
  2. That was neat that he could get credit for that. Sometimes you just gotta find that THING that gets their attention, however, keep the attention might be harder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Not that one, no. I should have insisted we do work together from the beginning.

      Delete
  4. Hi Liz - I just admire that you can continue to encourage them all the time ... when they're not that interested. Well done - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever works is my motto. I have to admit, I self-read a lot of classics as a child using Classics Illustrated comics (not for school assignments, mind you!) which, eventually, were a gateway into "the real thing". I hope you found something for Brandon. I always maintain hope that these types of students will succeed as adults after some maturity kicks in. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those aren't a bad thing, really. Sometimes the classics are written in a style that modern readers can't really get into.

      Delete
  6. I don't know enough about graphic novels but looked it up. What about 300? Sin City? I wonder if the kid heard you but just preferred not to answer until you truly startled him. You never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's entirely possible he chose not to respond when I tried to wake him.

      Delete
  7. Hope that things improve for your student so he can get more sleep and be more eager to learn! :) I have no idea if your grade levels are the same as us but my sons have found a lot of graphic novels they love - captain underpants is a winner as is anything by Anh Doh (weirdo and hot dog series) and they like dogman too. Not sure if they would be a bit too babyish for your 9th grader though, my son started reading them at the end of prep (before grade 1).

    Hope you are having a nice weekend :) We will be at home enjoying this rare summer-like warmth in the middle of winter :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captain Underpants is definitely too young for him. It's a 9th grade class, but he's actually almost 18. (He's making up the class. 9th graders are usually 14.)

      Delete
  8. Well at least he's got a couple of teachers willing to meet him halfway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We want him to succeed. But he has to do the work.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.