Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Mis-Named

On Monday of last week, Vincent arrived sans hair. He used to have shoulder length, thick brown hair. The difference in his look was startling. 

When asked about the sudden change, Vincent replied, "I did it to prove a point." The point being that he could and would, I suppose. 

I had been warned that he's the sort that'll dig in his heels and refuse to cooperate when it doesn't suit him. So, when he wasn't following along with the book we're reading, I wasn't terribly surprised that he informed me that he didn't like it (after giving it a whole page to catch his attention), and he wouldn't be reading it with us. 

I asked him how he was going to complete the assignments associated with the book, and he said he'd Google the answers. Well, we'll see how that goes.

So, I was rather relieved that he wasn't in school on Wednesday. 

It was morning, and I was at the gate with the aide that checks them in. She was doing a head count and wondered who was missing. 

"Vincent's not here," I said. 

She gave me an odd look.

That's when I realized that I had actually said "Vincent" and not his actual name. I use aliases on the blog. And usually I have no trouble with this. But I'm not usually in a situation where I'm only dealing with five students and writing about them at the same time. 

I'm gong to have to be more careful. 

Now I'm worried I might just call one of them their blog name to their faces. 

Vincent was also absent on Thursday. Apparently, he had a bit of a reaction to the Covid vaccine. He was present for Friday's walking field trip.

17 comments:

  1. Oops! I've wondered if you had ever done that.

    Also curious what book you're reading & how his plan to Google the answers went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, hope you don't slip like that again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he needs some essay questions you can't look up online. I mean, seriously, you don't TELL the teacher you're not reading the book. You just don't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a piece of work Vincent appears to be. I have a feeling he'll be a CEO one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...if he has the wherewithal to complete something. He's either going to be very successful or very much not so. Although, I imagine one of these days someone's going to take a swing at him.

      Delete
  5. I also uses aliases on my blog.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would so mess up blog versus real names. That's why I call the Barbarians Heckle and Jeckle as opposed to giving them a real name as the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see his future working at Radio Shack. Don't worry about saying the blog name instead of his real name. I am certain the teacher can't put 2 and 2 together plus she probably forgot right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just blew it off as the wrong name came out of my mouth. It wasn't the first time I misspoke.

      Delete
  8. LOL>.....yep, slip ups happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I forgot about aliases. I just asked about a student's name on your (next) post.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.