Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Do Not Disturb

Some things never happened while I was working on campus.

Monday. I was covering a tenth grade English class. They were working on vocabulary from their next book, Night

There was a tap at my window. 

My window overlooks the front door. On this day, plumbers were coming to work on a leak or something, and water was going to be shut off to our building. We had had due notice. 

The water shut off to the building is in our garage. (Some things were built really stupidly in the complex.) So, the plumbers needed access. 

And, uh. . . Yeah, I was home. But I was working. I was on camera. I couldn't just. . . 

I have roommates. When the plumbers knocked on the door, Luisa answered and took care of the issue. 

I like having my blinds open. It was a sunny day, and I like the light. But, perhaps I should keep them closed? Or, I might just need a sign, a "do not disturb" sign. 

But then again, we really don't get too many visitors during school hours usually. 

16 comments:

  1. In your case I suggest some sort of sheer curtain that allows light inside while obscuring the view from outside. And you can always tie it back when you wish. Take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your roommate saved the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing Luisa was around. It's not like you can take a pause from your job monitoring children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep.... a do not distube sign would be awesome. At least that way you will not get off topic or pulled away from the computer and it was great the roommate was there to help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be fun to put something like that on the window.

      Delete
  5. Working from home was normal for me pre-pandemic. It's amazing how many people seem to think you are available for all sorts of things because you are home (eg can you pick my kids up from school). Ummm, I'm still working, people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I've been working from home I've been truly surprised by the number of people that come to our door during the day. We actually put up a no soliciting sign; it's large and covers everything, including politics, religion, and fundraisers. We got it b/c the political canvassing leading up to the election was ridiculous. The joys of living in a swing state. Several people just ignore the sign, which really annoyed me. I took to yelling "read the sign and get lost" out the window. Maybe not the most polite approach, but I was really fed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't read signs. Of course, that blows the sign idea out of the water, because it will be ignored.

      Delete
  7. You need something that you can look out the window but they can't see in. I'm glad your roommates came to the rescue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never thought I would have to work from home! Fortunately my spouse is retired and can run interference if someone comes to the door, plus the pandemic has cut down on the number of visitors to begin with. But a friend who has worked from home for years warned me that people coming to the door (and people imposing on you just because you are home) came with the territory. So far, knock on wood, I've been fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if no one can see inside the home, why not ignore it? I'm good at pretending not to be home (just as long as I'm not in front of a window where they can see me).

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.