Thursday, February 11, 2021

Mistaken Identity

Middle school math, special ed. They were working on order of operations

I recognized Seth as soon as I heard his voice. That he's in special ed did not surprise me one bit. He immediately spoke up with a question. 

"Are you on your phone again today?" 

Uh. . .

Okay, so full disclosure, I am on my phone way more than I really should be. But there comes a point after I've gone over the assignment for the day, I've released the kiddos to get to work, and I'm staring at a screen full of unblinking avatars. 

I thought I hid it better than that. . .

But another student replied to Seth. "No, that was a different sub. . ."

At which point I realized what Seth was asking. Apparently their last sub had accessed the class via her phone. 

I was accessing the class via computer. 

The class got pretty boring after that. The kiddos worked on the assignment. And I. . . pulled out a magazine and read. (They had few questions after we did the first problem together.) 

13 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't get caught for being on your phone during class lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that kid wanted to get you into trouble even though you did nothing wrong. He's a handful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure he was just curious as to how I was accessing the meet.

      Delete
  3. I had a feeling that might have been the source of his question. You're too clever for the kiddos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt kids that age will think it's weird for anyone to be staring down at a phone anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least being at home you can easily grab something to do for those classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would get boring just staring at avatars. I like accessing long meetings on my phone so I can least walk around the house a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found things to keep me busy. Their classes are only an hour, so that breaks things up a bit.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.