Wednesday, February 17, 2021

The Audio Fix

Sunday night. Before I went to bed, I peeked at my email and discovered that the secretary from the school had already sent me all the info I'd need for my assignment Monday morning. 

Since it was available, I took a look at the lesson plans. And, bad news. The teacher wanted me to show a video. 

Deep sigh. 

I have lamented my video issues already. But JE pointed out the obvious: why don't I Google to see if there's a fix? Honestly, that thought hadn't occurred to me before. 

So, I looked on my phone that night to see what would pop up, and wouldn't you know it, there were a bunch of videos on YouTube. I watched two that had weird solutions. The third one I found had a simple fix that looked like it would do the trick. 

Monday morning, I logged in to everything a half hour early so I could play with the video settings. And. . . 

Didn't work. 

It seemed perfect. But the audio continued to sound like it was coming to me through a fan. Yikes.

I ended up having a prep period right after the monster fail in second period. Could I figure out a fix before sixth? 

I went back to the previous two videos that seemed way too complicated. The second video I watched Sunday night was where I went next. 

It was a bit easier to follow watching it on my computer, especially because I could pull up the things as the presenter described them. I made the recommended changes, and. . .

SUCCESS!!! 

The video actually played with good audio. Woo-hoo! 

Then came the test. Sixth period. (Which was the tennis team, so they had a different video than the biology class. But it was still a video.) 

Things did not go smoothly. By making changes to get the video to work, I had knocked out my microphone to speak to the students. When I started class, they did not hear my greeting. I was only clued in as the students sent messages in the chat of "Can you hear her?". 

I was able to tweak things so they could hear me, and I repeated my greetings as well as the intro for the day's assignment. Then it was time for the moment of truth. Would it work? 

I started the video. And. . . IT WORKED! 

Whew. 

Good thing too as I had this class for the week, and the teacher specifically said to show the video to the class. 

In case you ever find yourself in a similar circumstance, or you're curious as to what sound issue I was having, here's the video that provided the actual solution: 

Just to be clear, videos work just fine if I watch them on the computer. But the minute I attempted to present a video in a Google Meet, the sound issue happened. (If you want to get a demonstration of what we heard, go to about 50 seconds into the video.)

11 comments:

  1. I love YouTube. It has helped me solve several technical issues. Glad you had success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have to remember to look to YouTube when I'm flummoxed by something. I keep forgetting it has solutions to things.

      Delete
  2. Now I'm the kind of person who prefers to have instructions written out instead of on video. Which is kind of annoying because everyone else seems to prefer videos these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for the Internet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very happy you managed to get it working. There is nothing worse than being in that situation and you know it isn't your fault but it doesn't make you feel any better. Fingers crossed there are no more bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep forgetting about You Tube as a resource. And grateful that I'm not a teacher, although I've had enough interesting video moments on online meetings I've had to attend at work and at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet. You should totally share them on your blog. We would love to hear them :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on getting the video to work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz - so pleased you got it to work ... the internet is brilliant and provides some really helpful advice. All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.