Monday, February 1, 2021

Sleeves!

Well, one sleeve. So far. 

When I started this cardigan, back in 2013, I decided to knit it in one piece. That is, rather than knit a back, a right front, and a left front, and then sew those together, I'd do all those pieces in one go. 

It's pretty boring knitting until one gets to where the sleeves go. 

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm using a template to construct the sweater. In this template, the sleeves are worked circularly, where the body had been worked back and forth. 

This should not be a big deal. I can do either. But I ran into a bit of a snag when I got into the staggered part of the stitch repeat.

This is the part where I explain what that snag is, but I can't do it. I would have a hard time writing this as an explanation for a knitter, so trying to explain to a non-knitting audience just isn't going to happen. It has to do with lace knitting and yarn overs and not doing two yarn overs in a row and attempting to knit a wrong side row and right side row in the same pattern repeat. 

Yeah, that didn't even make sense to me.

By the time I figured out there was a big problem, I had knit three rows. 

On the bright side, I learned how to ladder down and adjust mistakes early on in the knitting of this sweater. . .

So, the fix only took an hour or so. And once I recognized the problem, the solution to how to knit the sleeve in the round presented itself. 

At least the sleeves are going quicker than the body. If you look closely, you can see where I bound off for the armholes. . .

Okay, maybe not. Suffice it to say that progress is being made, and the body (above) is just sittin' and chillin' until the sleeves are knit. I'll post pics once the sleeves are added. Then the construction will make a bit more sense.

(The new blog background is this stitch pattern close up. It was time for a new one.)

19 comments:

  1. That looks nice...and that is a beautiful color. I never could get the hang of those needles but then again, my knit skills were not much past knit, pearl, knit......and I did not like pearling!! lol.....basically used my knitting skills as doing knit, knit, knit....etc and turn to make a scarf. haha...Crochet got me a tad bit more daring with the stitches but still basically scraves and throws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about purling. If I have a choice, I'd rather do the knit stitch.

      Delete
  2. Ah! I thought the background was a close-up of the stitch pattern!

    Love the pattern—and hooray for making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great progress, and nice to be able to fix with a third knitting needle. Great new blog background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Progress is good.
    And I think that's the only part of this post I understood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! I love the new background. It's totally you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe you, Liz. I'm a non-knitter because I can't visualize the instructions. This morning I finally figured that the motion is really going to the left when I unscrew a screw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so skilled. This is going to be beautiful. I will not bore you with my days (long past) of crocheting sweaters. Let's just say they were not works of art worthy of a blog post. Nowadays I stick to throws and the like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knitting rarely is "worthy" of a blog post. But I post about knitting on Mondays, so what's on the needles gets written about.

      Delete
  8. I am really loving this cardy. I'd recognised the background and liked getting the close up. Lovely design and lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll get there. Love it as your background!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The line 'Yeah, that didn't even make sense to me.' made me chuckle. But you're bringing more beauty into the world all the time. So thank you for that. ~grin~ This is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely cardigan. I love the way you calmly work with something until you figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds calm when I write about it. In reality it is less so.

      Delete
  12. Are you saying you've been working on the same sweater for 8 years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. It now has surpassed the six-year afghan for longest time from casting on to finishing project.

      Delete
  13. I noticed this is your background which is cool. I don't quite follow but I could see myself throw it against the wall when I have to tear it out and restart which is why you are the knitter and I am the card maker:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.