Thursday, February 4, 2021

Good Enough for Now

Special ed English class at the continuation high school. They were reading Animal Farm

Only, kiddos don't tend to read. Not willingly. Especially not special ed kids. So, the teacher had been playing the audio for them via YouTube. 

That's an easy enough lesson plan. Alas, I have a technical issue.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but for some reason, I can't present videos to classes. I mean, I can. I know how. But whenever I try, the audio comes out sounding like someone is trying to talk through a box fan. It's all choppy and stuttery. 

I have tried every trick I know. (If any of you technical wizards out there have any ideas, I'm all ears.) 

Knowing the problem, and knowing that they didn't have to see the video, I attempted to just play the video on my computer while I had the meet going so they could hear the book via my speaker to the microphone.

I patted myself on the back. Problem solved. 

Except...

The next day, I asked if the sound quality was good the previous day. Nope. They couldn't hear it. 

So, in the end I played the video on my second computer (yes, I have two computers), turned it up loud, and angled those speakers towards my main computer. That they heard. 

Whew. 

Now, I just need to find a fix for the stuttery issue. I'm sure other teachers will assign videos. It's the nature of subbing. 

In case you're interested in hearing it yourself, here's the YouTube version we were listening to: 

19 comments:

  1. I wish I had a solution for your sound issue, but my expertise doesn't extend that far. You seem to have found a way around anyway. Congrats on being resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without knowing your systems and what you are using, I couldn't hazard a guess. At least you found a fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief. You are creative, for sure. :) I'm always a bit sad when kids dislike reading. What can you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all do. In this situation, however, I was more likely to have reluctant readers. The class kind of collects them.

      Delete
  4. Glad you found something that will work until you get it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I have said it time and timea again. To be a teacher deserve you a pat on the back. To be teaching now with times the way they are deserves you a couple of pats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are compensations. What other job right now lets me work from bed?

      Delete
  6. That's not a problem I've heard of before. Of course, I haven't used audio through whatever meet software you're using. Have you tried googling for a solution?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just noticed the background on your blog. Very cool, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes technology fails us, but at least you found a work around. I like the crochet background, I don't remember seeing that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's the cardi I've been knitting for myself. I changed the background over the weekend and wrote about it on Monday.

      Delete
  9. Actual I been thinking about reading this again.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I. Glad you figured it out but, tell me, what was done differently, when I was growing up, that I actually read the book? I know there is. So much more out there but it can’t be just that. I find this book one of the most horrifying books I ever read. It still resonates with me to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular class was more likely to not read. First, they were at the continuation high school. Students who notoriously don't do their work end up there. Second, it was special ed. Special ed kiddos tend to avoid doing their work.

      Now, these are generalizations. I may be wrong about certain individuals. But I go into classes like this assuming that they're going to avoid the work, so I strive to make sure avoiding the work is harder than doing it.

      Delete
    2. Your basic, run-of-the-mill general class will have more students who will do the reading.

      Delete
  11. Yes I am always in total awe of everything a teacher needs to be to teach these days - the skills set required is phenomenal and I take my battered Thailand hat off to you!
    Have a great week
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.