Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Magical World


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements.

Apologies, but today's question is a rerun. I'm stuck. I came up with a couple really good questions, but stupidly I didn't write them down at the time, and now I can't recall what they were. Sigh. I'm sure it'll come back to me. Sometime after I hit "publish". Probably at about 3 AM.

So, this is from May 30, 2013:

What if magic was possible in our world--has been possible all along? What if the only thing keeping us from doing all those things depicted in books or pictured in movies is our belief that magic is not possible?

8 comments:

  1. This would be very cool and considering we use very little of our brain, you never know if we could "will" ourselves to a place we want to see or we could have telepathy. I always dreamed of being Samantha Stevens but I would have told Darren long ago that his old way of thinking is out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if I've already done some magic? Haha. :) Just kidding. I'm stuck too, but I would sure like to be able to perform magic, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so cool! Please tell me you really have done some magic.

      Delete
  3. That is actually possible... I think we close ourself to a lot of interesting possibilities because of our preconceived notions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then I think we need to start using it :) Wouldn't that be interesting if we did and it worked?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only. The first thing I'd do is wrinkle my nose like Samantha from Bewitched and clean my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd wrinkle my nose, but I don't think housecleaning would be my first order of business.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.