I got the yarn (birthdays are wonderful things), and last week I was ready to start the thing. I made my swatch, found that my gauge was bigger than the gauge of the pattern, and I made the mathematical adjustments needed so that I wouldn't end up with a vest that would be way too huge for me. I made my cast on chain, and I started in.
After working five or so rows, I noticed something. I forgot to take into account that openwork mesh tends to grow. I had made the thing about five inches too long.
Easy enough. I ripped the thing out and started over.
The first row is a set up row. Because it's mesh, every other stitch is skipped. As long as I chained the correct number of chains, my last worked stitch should be in the last chain. Unfortunately, after ripping out five rows and reworking the first row, my count was off by one.
|I had one chain hanging out. It looked like this.|
Third time working the first row, and it came out even. I started to work the second row, but I noticed something wrong. The piece didn't look right. It looked too short.
I counted. I measured. It couldn't be! I was off by 10 stitches.
This ripping out and starting over is getting old.
I chained 10 more stitches. Worked the first row...
I was off by one. Again.
Let's just say that it was a good thing I was alone. I put the yarn and hook aside. I consoled myself with brownies. Deep breath, and I tried it One. Last. Time.
It was a good thing that the one last time came out even. I think I might have lost it if it didn't. Into row 2, it was time to measure just to make sure...
Nah. If it's wrong now, I'll give it to someone it'll fit.