Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sunburned

I figured that the day would be warm, so I wore a yellow tank top and shorts. I figured that some walking would be involved, so I wore sneakers. I had my sunglasses and a bottle of water. However, I wasn't wearing sunscreen.

I'm usually so good about sunscreen. I have very fair skin, and I burn easily. In retrospect, it was an idiotic thing to do. At the time, I didn't realize what I was walking into.

Yesterday we went looking for granite. The kitchen remodel is still on; it's just taken this long to hire a contractor. First we looked for tile. Then we went out to the granite yard. Unfortunately, it was 11:30 AM on a pretty warm day. There wasn't a cloud in the sky.

I figured that I'd be safe for 20 minutes. But, there was no shade anywhere. And I suppose the reflective surfaces of the granite didn't help any. After the decision had been made and we were headed back for the car, I looked down at my shoulders, and they didn't look pink. I thought I was okay.

When I got home and looked in the mirror I found the tell-tale red on my shoulders and neck. That was when I realized that I really should have known. Okay, so I'm an idiot.

Not really. If I'm going to Disneyland, the county fair, or anyplace where I'm going to be outside, I wear sunscreen. I bring it along so that I can reapply. Really, I do. But for 20 minutes?

If you're looking for me for the next week or so, I'll be in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.