Friday, October 4, 2024

One Last Thing

A sub credential only allows me to cover one class for up to thirty days. This was extended to sixty days the last couple of years, because *gestures to everything*. But it appears that we are sufficiently back to normal, and the number of days I can cover one class will remain at thirty.

Last Friday was day thirty of the school year. 

We all kept an eye on this, and the teacher next door (Ms. W) who's been supplying me with help and lesson plans kept an eye out for a sub to replace me. 

Ms. W realized that Mr. H might be a good next sub. (I wrote about him a few months ago.) And so, those that do these things got him all lined up. 

I asked for and got two days of transition. So, Mr. H started on Thursday. We had two days in the class together so I could pass off everything to him. 

The one thing I wanted to get finished before I left was grading the students' lab safety posters.

In about week three, the students got an assignment about lab safety. There were rules to read and activities to complete. The last activity was a poster they were to create about one of the lab safety rules. 

This particular assignment kept getting pushed back. The kiddos would get ten minutes to work on it, and then class would be over. I'd plan to give them more time for it, but the other lessons would take too much time. After three tries to find time in class to do it, I gave it up. I figured they just wouldn't get it done, and we could skip it.

But then it was test day, and there was about a half hour of class time to fill. Lab safety poster.

The whole thing was a mess, so leaving that mess of grading to Mr. H? Nope. Didn't want to do it. 

But, time just evaporated. I had a hair appointment Tuesday afternoon. Then Wednesday I got pulled into something else. And it was Thursday. The moments I might have stolen to do some grading were the moments I used to go over things Mr. H needed (and when Mr. H asked me questions about what he was unclear on). 

(On Thursday Mr. H taught about half of the lesson. On Friday he did all of it. He's good. The class is in good hands.) 

So, it was Friday. Class time was busy. (Sure, Mr. H taught the lesson, but I assisted. And they were doing a rotating stations thing, so having two adults was a good thing.) Finally, at the end of the day, I said I had to get those posters graded. 

Mr. H offered to do some of it. I observed that there were other assignments the kiddos had turned in. (Sure, I would have liked to have gotten those graded, too, but they were technically on his watch, so I felt less guilty leaving them to him.) 

In the end, I got five of the periods graded. Mr. H graded the last one. And I was able to leave the class having mostly gotten the grading from my time done.

And now I am once again free to join the subbing pool. Back to the day-to-day. And I don't feel even a little worried about the classes I left as I know they're in capable hands.

23 comments:

  1. A traveling teacher. It sounds unsettling but you all worked it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great feeling! I co-teach some classes and I always worry when I'm going to be absent and the other teacher has to take on everything. (Because I'm kind of an attention hog & usually try to do everything myself.) I can't imagine the nightmare of continuously transitioning like this. They really should go back to the 60 days so kids can have more stability, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. On to the new adventure. Seems like the 60 day would be a good idea to go back to, but you have to work with the rules you have. And, the students really are in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears the sub shortage is no more. Which is a good thing in the long run.

      Delete
  4. That's kind of hard on both you, and the students. Getting used to each other, and learning about them, then switching it up. Probably hardest on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. Or, they get to switch out teachers, so if they don't like one...

      Delete
  5. You handle the traveling teacher so well, leaving them in good hands. But you supplied Mr. H with everything he needed. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad you were able to work with him to transition the class

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a reason for the cap on days for subs? Because it seems like a setback to have to transition during long term assignments like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always a good feeling to have things organized and in good hands going forward. Good luck back in the day-to-day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got it done. Makes one wonder just how much they pile on these students, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how most of the things I assigned were completed in class, I don't think it's as much as people assume.

      Delete
  10. I wonder why you have this system. Here in my place they always prefer to have the same teacher continue for as long as it is possible. Changing teachers midway of the year actually impedes the students' progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure how the sub teacher works here in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a great job! Have a great day!
    Rampdiary 

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.