Friday, October 11, 2024

Familiar Faces

Friday. Seventh grade English.

I glanced at the class roster. Yup, I knew many of those names...

Fourth period. Out of a class of 22, 12 had been in the science class I had left just one week prior.

Immediately, Julian pounced. "Why did you give me a 13 on my lab safety poster?"

Julian is one of those overachiever-type kids. Good student. Anxious. 

I graded the posters by rubric, 20 points total. (So, 13 is 65%.) 

And... I don't really pay attention to names when I'm grading. And 175 students. Do I remember what each student got on the poster? Nope. I don't even remember what Julian's poster looked like.

I said something of the sort. I'm sure his grade is still just fine. (And I gave Mr. H carte blanche when it came to adjusting grades on the posters if he wished. That he didn't tells me he wasn't going to bother.) 

Once class got started, there was a dispute between two boys. Myles and Clayton (I'm talking about Clayton in #8 of this list). Clayton had stolen Myles' water bottle and drank from it. (Clayton said he pretended to drink from it.) Myles was upset as the bottle was now nearly empty when it hadn't been before.

Oh, Myles could not be consoled. Then he said that Clayton had put grass in the bottle. (As Clayton had never left the room, I wasn't sure how he accomplished this.) Myles dumped out the remaining water, and now he was upset that he had no water. I pointed out that the school had water fountains made to fill water bottles. But the school water was warm and didn't taste good. Myles had had "good" water that was cold.

Deep sigh.

It was one thing after another with Myles. His table mates were antagonizing him. He couldn't do something else. On and on and on. (He's that kid. So, none of this surprised me.)

Then, Corbin. "The teachers at this school all hate me."

I told him I was sure that wasn't true. 

"What? You hate me."

I denied this. Because, I don't hate him. He annoys me. But hate? Nope. 

It was a day of constant motion, keeping the kiddos contained. But many actually did the assignment. (They were completing a storyboard based on a story they read: "Thank You, M'am" by Langston Hughes.) Typical seventh grade stuff.

13 comments:

  1. Goodness, they have a lot going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. It's the age. They mellow a lot from 7th grade to 10th grade.

      Delete
  2. Reading this story in my 70's, I was crying by the end. What if I was in 7th grade? There certainly is enough action in the story but I would have been drawing stick figures. Still would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick figures were fine. Many of them used computers and traced images. They never really get the stories they read. Teachers try to explain, but at that age they're just exposing the students to good literature. It builds over the years.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my! They sound like the kids my son supervises at work at the elementary school! They have the excuse of single digit ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We chide them for acting like elementary age kiddos when they are now in middle school, but it does take some time for them to mature. MIddle school is a weird age where they think they're mature but they still act like little kids.

      Delete
  4. They all think they're the center of the world at that age. Of course your life revolves around them. You don't exist when you're not teaching them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have your hands full with those kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And... in about a half hour, I'll get to see many of them again in their history class. Wish me luck.

      Delete
  6. A tough age. Requires lots and lots of patience and insight (I have neither).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you took a relaxing bubble bath when you got home.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.