Thursday, October 3, 2024

The Retest

The prior week the kiddos had their first test. And it went rather well.  

One of the things the seventh grade science teachers have been doing, though, is offering a retest. Any kiddo who wants to gets the opportunity to redo the test, keeping the higher of the two scores. 

There's a catch. They have to do a review paper before they can take the test. 

Wednesday, first period. I had five students (out of a class of thirty), turn in the review. 

When I mentioned the review, several students who probably should have attempted a retake decided not to. "Too much work." Okay, then.

One student who wanted a retake? She got nineteen on her first attempt. Out of twenty. 

She wanted that perfect score. 

And she got it. 

(I had a few perfect scores. Many nineteens. And eighteens. Like I said, the test went rather well.) 

Fifth period. I had two students who had been absent on the day of the test, and four students who wanted a retake. 

Then, at the end of the period, a boy approached. He wanted to know what he could do to raise his grade. He had a C. His mom had threatened him with consequences if he didn't get his grade up to an A.

(One of the consequences was giving away his dog to his aunt. Which seems a bit harsh.)

His grades weren't bad. He had a few assignments where he didn't get full points. He had gotten a C on the test. (The test was 40% of their grade. This will dilute a bit once they've had more tests.) 

I guess I'm a soft touch. I said he could retake the test even though he hadn't done the review. 

And? He scored two points lower than his initial attempt. 

Ah well. He tried. (And he kept the higher score, so he didn't lose anything.) 

Of the retesters, about half gained a point or two. The other half lost a point or two. 

19 comments:

  1. Jamie:
    I always had tests! Especially when they seemed to be every two or three weeks in some classes. I seem to remember that's how it was in one of my high school history classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tests should be fairly frequent. That way, they dilute your grade. If you do poorly on one, the next you might do very well. And that would help your grade.

      Delete
  2. I am quite upset at that "consequence." One, it's just one test in 7th grade. Two, raising from a C to an A might not be possible for that student. Three, that just is not an acceptable punishment! It's the way to make a child act out, go non-contact when older. I still remember in high school a girl was pregnant. Her father got rid of all her pets. I would never have forgiven my parents (who actually thought it was a terrible punishment). A neighbor adopted the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I mean, I get keeping after him to keep his grades up, but we're at a point in the year where pulling that grade up isn't going to happen quickly. It wasn't like he was missing assignments. And he had a C. Perfectly acceptable.

      Delete
  3. Well, I agree, giving the dog away is a bit harsh for a grade. Something like that could do some major damage if he loves that dog more than anything else. But on the flip side, I might have been told my punishment for my daughter was too harsh by taking her granny away from her!! Yep, I did. You see, my mom tended to spoil Amber, good grades or not, and she also would go behind my back....so with that, maybe I was not so harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but that wasn't a permanent thing. And I think the situations were different. I mean, 7th grade? If he wasn't turning in work, I'd see it. But he was doing what he needed to. Now it's just a matter of him learning to get full credit for all of his work.

      Delete
    2. And don't we, even as adults, love them more than anything else? :)

      Delete
  4. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through when you have a nineteen out of twenty. I really hope the kid's dog is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be the 19 vs. 20, and go for the extra point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have wanted to, but ultimately I wouldn't've.

      Delete
  6. I feel sorry for kids treated like that. We can hope his mother changes her mind or that he can visit his aunt often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like he's not doing what he's supposed to be doing. Hopefully it was all a threat.

      Delete
  7. Giving away the dog was harsh indeed. I've seen that rewards for achievements bring better results than punishments for failures.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Sounds like you're fostering a great environment for learning and improvement! It's nice to see the kiddos given a second chance with the retests, though it's funny how some students are willing to put in the extra effort, while others shy away from it. Hopefully, that boy’s mom will reconsider the harsh consequence for his grades! I just posted new content, I invite you to read https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/10/are-you-failing-to-recognize-symptoms-of-anxiety-or-depression.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something the 7th grade science teachers have been doing for a while. I like it, too.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.