Thursday, September 12, 2024

Broke Fifth Period?

Wednesday, fifth period. 

As the schedule changes seemed to be settling down, I figured it was a good time to make some seating changes. Mostly in period three, because period three has become that class

But in period five, I had one girl seated by herself in a corner in the back that is not turning in work. She gives me definite distracted vibes, like she has ADHD. I wanted her closer so I can keep better tabs on her. And while I was doing that, I might as well move some in the back closer, as the class was pretty small, and I didn't need kiddos way back away.

Once I moved several students, a couple others wanted to be closer, too. So I allowed that. Then I got on with the lesson of the day.

And I found that I had broken fifth period.

Fifth period was the good group. They were my reward for getting through third period.

The first day I had them, they came in quiet. And then wouldn't talk. After lunch. (Middle schoolers are notorious for being wound up after lunch. After lunch classes tend to be crazy.) 

Over the last couple weeks, I've discovered that they're the bright group. I ask a question, I get many volunteers to answer. And I can teach them. They're attentive. They're engaged. They're lovely. 

But after the seating changes... Suddenly, I had to stop to regain attention. Oh no.

But, mostly it was two boys. They hadn't been sitting next to one another before, and they just couldn't seem to get enough of one another. 

Would separating them work? 

On Friday, I tried just that. And, things calmed down considerably. 

Phew. I thought I had broken the class. 

(Both boys were good boys. Attentive. Volunteered.)

We'll see if that was the only issue. Seventh graders, so these things don't necessarily stay static. Hopefully they'll continue to be my good group. I need that.

19 comments:

  1. My motto tends to be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but then again, I'm not a teacher and your changes made sense. Hoping for your sake that the newest configuration continues to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have touched it except for the girl. She needs to be closer to me. Separating the boys has held so far. Today won't be any sort of gauge as they're doing a group project, but next week will tell me for sure if I've now fixed that problem.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like they feed off the others energy, the group sounds pretty positive tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. As I had demonstrated for me today. But, I'm rather pleased with them otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Working with groups is difficult sometimes :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a good teacher to notice who needs help and rearranging things to give it. I'm glad moving the boys worked out! Hope it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently the two of them are what breaks the class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Glad you could 'mend' the class. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I would have been devastated if my good class was destroyed by one seating change.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I think I'll write about them again next week. The boys... Well, there's a story.

      Delete
  8. OH NO, can't afford to go around breaking something that works! Bad thing, it might not work the best and moving things around might help....in this case, apparently not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem, but nope. Middle school.

      Delete
  9. It’s amazing how a small change can shake things up. Glad to hear you found a way to calm the class down. Seventh graders can be a handful, but it sounds like you’re doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That worked for them. Now if I could just figure out a way to calm 3rd period down.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.