Friday, August 26, 2022

Four Doodles

As it was the first full week of school, the ceramics class hadn't yet been instructed on how to handle clay. Which meant that once they had done some of the intro lessons, there wasn't much more they could do in class. 

So, on Friday, I gave them the Four Doodles assignment. 

This is an assignment he does start the classes with every year. The ceramics 2 class (the group who had this class last year) recognized it. 

It went about as I expected it to. Some of them took the assignment seriously. Some of them half-assed it.

But I mention it because I thought some of you might like to try it. It's a great Zen-out type of mindless drawing. 

You'll need a pencil and a piece of computer or copy paper. Fold it half and then in half again, so you have four boxes each taking up a fourth of the page. 

Each of the boxes should be filled when this is complete. 

In the first box, fill it with circles and circles only. Big ones. Little ones. Varied or not. 

In the second box, fill it with squares made up of horizontal and vertical lines. Like, the first square is made up of only horizontal lines. Then next to it, the square is made up of only vertical lines. The sizes of the squares can vary. 

The third box is full of wavy lines. Start by dividing the box with a wavy line. Then to the right of this line, try to make a line parallel to it. Fill up all the space to the right with wavy lines. Then do the same thing to the left.

And finally, the last box is filled with any random lines you like. The only limit is THE LINES CAN NOT CROSS. The next line can go all the way up to the previous line, but it must not go across it. 

I totally would have created a couple of these, but alas I was busy doing teacher things--taking roll, answering the phone, and the other random things that tend to pop up when all I want to do is stare into space (or play on the computer). 

I hope you all have a peaceful weekend.

11 comments:

  1. You might not have had the time to do it then but when you are home, sitting around, give it a try. I used to do (as a teen) pics using lines, I have done it several ways. I also used to draw and design clothes. I wanted to be a fashion designer...haha that is funny in its self since I have never been a brand type person where clothes are concerned. Art, drawing, painting.....its all good for the mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, when I'm sitting around at home with time and energy on my hands, I'm knitting. I might do it one day at work when I have a boring class, though.

      Delete
  2. Considering that I enjoy simple photography, I've never been oriented towards making art. At all, despite being exposed to pottery and watercolor at sleepaway camp.. So here I am trying to figure out how you can make squares out of all horizontal lines, or all vertical lines, as in, "don't you need both?" I was terrible at mechanical drawing, which was required at my high school, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boxes were easily explained by the example he left. I was tempted to add that to this post, but then I thought I'd just leave the words and let people make of it what they would. I wish I could post a picture in the comments...

      Delete
  3. I've done similar things with the Barbarians when they were younger. They always preferred the draw and pass it on version though (when you fold the A4 paper in thirds, keep it folded and the first person drawers the head and puts 2 tiny marks on the next third so the next person who drawers the middle of the creature/person knows where to start. Each person can't see what the previous one drew and at the end the full being is revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I thought so. Some of the students, not so much.

      Delete
  5. I think it would be hard to fill in shop like classes. Lot of tools I don't know the name or what they are called.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Off I go to find a piece of paper to try your doodle exercise. That last box sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to give your doodle exercise a try.

    Happy Monday, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.