Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Counted

At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements. 😉

The other day I was in line at the grocery store. Specifically, I was in the "15 items or fewer" line. I had two items.

The person in front of me... had considerably more than that. And so, I got to thinking... 

What if grocery stores imposed a penalty, a "fee", for every item over 15 in the "15 items or fewer" checkout line? 

A couple specifics: This would be something that the register would automatically calculate, not something the cashier would be required to input. The policy would be communicated clearly before being instituted. And the penalty wouldn't necessarily be imposed on 16 or 17 items (there would be a buffer for people who miscount by one or two). 

13 comments:

  1. Good! I hate when people have a large amount and just enter that aisle. If that was done, people would soon learn not yo use it. I have actually said to some that they are in the wrong aisle. I would get flack but I would not vack down until someone in charge eoyld tell them to leave. Now, if it's an elderly person who has difficulty walking, I would not interfere but its normally someone who knows better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's like, why that line? It's not like it goes that much quicker. In fact, it's usually slow. If I've got one or two things, I'll usually use one of the other lines as they tend to go more quickly.

      Delete
  2. I started thinking about this. They should do this, or just have the machine stop registering after the twelve item. However, in practice people would just finish the checkout at twelve items and start a new one causing times to be even longer. You cannot train selfish people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true. They would find a way around it. Which is why I say the fee. When suddenly they're paying a couple dollars more, they might be more careful of the line they pick.

      Delete
  3. How I wish we could, but, in these times when people seem to go ballistic over the tiniest things, I wouldn't want to endanger a cashier in any way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is why I specify that the register would do it automatically. If it was up to the cashier, it would get ugly fast.

      Delete
  4. I'm the kind of person who doesn't dare enter that line if the items in my handcart APPEAR to total more than the requisite no. Me=mostly a rule-follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us are rule followers. It's just the ones that aren't that tick off the rest of us.

      Delete
  5. I love that idea!!! It makes me so angry so angry is in a ten items or less lane with an entire buggy of groceries. I've gotten out of those lines before if I realize I've miscounted and have one or two more items. I can't imagine having the nerve to go though that line with so many items.

    I'd probably shop exclusively at a store that instituted a fee for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One or two items... miscounts happen. But it's irritating to get behind someone who isn't even in the ballpark when it comes to the limit of the line.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.