Monday, August 29, 2022

Of Fiddly Yarn and Unicorn Horns

Last week the shiny yarn that sister-in-law wanted for the horn of her unicorn hat arrived. On Sunday I got right to work...

...Only to discover that the yarn would not work for the horn. It just would not.

I tried. I tried it a couple different ways. I mean, I could have gutted it out and kept going, but it was a mess, and I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Sigh. 

But, the horn has a spiral that is to be embroidered on. Would that be enough bling for the horn? 

I crocheted a horn, but in plain white.

Realizing my Friday assignment was going to be one of those where I had not a lot to do, I decided I'd bring this along and get the spiral embroidered on. 

It took me all day. The class was as well-behaved as anticipated. But the embroidery was tricky, at least for someone who doesn't do a lot of it. I ripped it out three times before I ended up with...

Which... Meh. 

The spiral is too wide. And the pink doesn't really pop. I attempted to add a second spiral to this, but I ran out of time. But while contemplating it, I thought, maybe I could come up with something better. 

So, I decided I'd find a yarn that would work but in the right color. And I'd use the shiny yarn held with it. 

And I think I've got it.

I still used the shiny yarn for the spiral (and this time the embroidery went much easier--the practice before helped), and I used the shiny yarn on the horn. I don't think it shows up as well as SIL envisioned, but really, it's the best I can do. 

(The shiny yarn was just as fiddly as before, but carrying it along side a "stable" yarn made using it doable.) 

I'm not 100% satisfied with this, but it'll do, especially as my deadline is fast approaching. (Her birthday is at the end of September, so it needs to get finished and mailed sooner rather than later.) 

All that's left is to attach the horn and to braid ear flaps. Unless next week gets crazy, I should be able to get this done by then. Fingers crossed.

16 comments:

  1. Yes, I think the last one would work just great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has more of the bling factor the yarn was going for, if not exactly how intended.

      Delete
  2. You have such patience, to try, try and try again until you got the look you wanted and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I really had patience, I'd've kept fighting with the original yarn until I got it to work. I did not.

      Delete
  3. I think it looks good. Much like my process. When first you don't succeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. If it doesn't look right, you're going to be annoyed with it. So, it's best to keep at it until you get the look you want.

      Delete
  4. It looks great! She will love it. If it was me I already would have hurled it over the balcony...if I had one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can buckle down and force my way through something when I've promised to do it. That's why I check things out before I agree to them (mostly). I didn't realize what a fiddly bit of work that horn was going to be.

      Delete
  5. After the trouble of getting it from another country, darn it, you were going to make a pink horn happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Especially since that's what she requested. It actually looks pretty good.

      Delete
  6. I think it looks pretty and I bet she'll love it. good on you for working it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it will work. In its own way, the final product you showed works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad for the yarn, and it's not something you may use again. You find a smart alternative! The horn will show ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.