Monday, August 8, 2022

Linear Growth in Crochet

Last week I was just getting started on the unicorn hat. (The pattern is here. I don't want to post pics from the pattern due to copyright concerns, so make sure to click on the link to get an idea what the finished hat will look like.) 

Since last week's post, I attached the ears, and I got started on the mane. And the mane... Well, it's a bit, um, long...

It turns out that I've never blogged before about the potato chip scarf (or if I have, I can't find it). It's an interesting technique that produces a spiral. It's the technique the pattern designer used to create the mane of the unicorn. 

The problem? Linear growth. It's what makes the thing spiral. 

For the mane, I chained 107 stitches. It's a lot, but not terrible. The next row, I had to double that. (214 stitches.) And then the next row again added 107 stitches, meaning by row 3, I was working 321 stitches. 

And then there were rows 4, 5, and 6 (428, 535, and 642 stitches). 

Row 1 barely took any time at all. Rows 4, 5, and 6 had to be done over multiple sittings. 

I debated doing the last row in the purple or changing out to a contrasting color. The decision was made for me when I was just about out of purple yarn by the end of row 6.

I like the edging on this. It makes the whole mane pop. But as you can see, after two (or three?) days working on it, I'm still not quite to the end.

After this, I think all I've got left is the horn. After the mane, that should be a snap.

At least the ears are done. 

I might be persuaded to make some of these for sale, if anyone is interested in commissioning one. (Although, I am expensive, so budget accordingly.) 

18 comments:

  1. That is a neat spiral. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It blew my mind to find out how simple that was to achieve. Alas, it does take a lot of stitches.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I could survive the first three rows of this. And you are offering (yes, for $, but still) to do this more than once? Respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went pretty quickly. And as long as I realize that the spiral is going to take as long as it takes, it won't make me crazy.

      Delete
  3. I love it! Love the color choice too (although I might have said that before). Who determined unicorns have to be "white" or "silver"?
    When you say "potato chip scarf" as I'm looking at that mane, I think of the fair-food of potatoes cut in a spiral, spread out on skewers, and deep-fried. Haven't seen it in ... 5 years? Ah... fried food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was so named because "you can't just make one". The pattern is now no longer online, so I'm going by memory.

      Delete
  4. That looks like quite an intricate work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz - what fun ... but oh boy the linear growth and counting down - not fun ... but the end result will be great to see - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks really cool. Allow the growth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t wait to see the finished product and loving the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  8. Skilled work deserves proper compensation. ~nods~ I still enjoy my fingerless gloves, which I believe you delivered for a fair price.

    Have you considered crocheting full bodied animal figures? I can even imagine customers providing their own stuffed toy filler so you need not bother with that step nor the subsequent bulky shipments.

    Your talent is amazing, for sure. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have the talent for toys. This is why I purchase patterns for hats like these. They're fun to do, but I bow down to the creativity of the pattern writers.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.