Friday, January 14, 2022

Cranky

"I am not cranky!" 

Flash snarled this at me as he informed me he did not want to have his picture taken next to the metal dinosaur we spied while out on one of our off campus jaunts. 

Flash is usually pretty mellow. But on this day he was adamant about not wanting to go into stores. He doesn't like to look at things. He likes to walk fast. 

I had not accused Flash of being cranky or grumpy or irritated. I hadn't said much to Flash at all. But he defended himself as if being cranky was the worst thing he could be.

I figure that Flash was probably due an off day. I told him he was totally allowed to be cranky, just so long as he didn't take it out on anyone else.

He didn't. 

He stayed outside while we went into a couple shops. (We have to go somewhere on our outings. It does not take three hours to eat lunch, and we have at least three hours to kill.) He ate lunch. And he stayed away from the rest of the class.

I wonder what upset him. It could have been our outing. Or something else. I'll wait to ask him though. There's no reason to poke the cranky bear.

24 comments:

  1. Someone must've looked sideways at him before school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, he's generally not irked by the people around him. He can be rather oblivious most of the time.

      Delete
  2. I'm guessing he started in a somewhat bad-mood, and then each time someone called him cranky, it got a little worse, so by the time he got to school, he was ready to snap at everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to understand - we all have off days occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, better to leave well enough alone. Have a great weekend Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe mom or dad called him that before he left the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like it. Why else did he come up with that word?

      Delete
  6. That's what my knee doctor said about my messed up knee, that he wouldn't operate because it wasn't bothering me at the moment and there's no sense poking a sleeping bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But... Perhaps making it a non-messed up knee? But what do I know, right?

      Delete
  7. Sometimes it's hard to shake off the crankiness, speaking from personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I know. That's why I didn't try to cheer him up or anything.

      Delete
  8. I wouldn't poke cranky bear.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must have been one of those days for him, like we all have once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would also not poke cranky bear. We all have days when we are cranky and then the best solution is move from other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really sucks when you have to be around other people when you're feeling that way.

      Delete
  11. He probably needed some rest and loneliness. At least he followed the group!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You took the right approach. As long as he’s not bothering anyone else and doing what is expected of him, he’s allowed to be cranky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. I hate when people want me to be all smiles when I'm not feeling it. So, I won't do that to someone else.

      Delete
  13. The old saying "he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.." maybe it was true in this case. At least he kept to himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been. I never did ask him what happened.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I have no idea. I should have asked him last week, but I didn't.

      Delete
  15. You never know how someone's day starts at home. I'm sure I've sent my kids to school cranky a time or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens. Sometimes they walk in and snap at each other. That's normal.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.