Friday, January 21, 2022

Not a Walker

After our getting started routine (where I ask them calendar questions as well as a social trivia question), we exercise. On Thursdays, the students can choose to go out and take a walk or stay in the room and dance. 

I can pretty much tell you who will dance and who will go for the walk. Sydney, Eddy, Brittany, and Logan walk. Sushi, Pizza, Antoine, Flash, and Leanna like to dance. (I would think Flash, who loves to walk fast, would walk, but he consistently remains behind to dance.) 

As we were getting ready for exercise, one of the aides asked if they would mind going to Dollar Tree while on their walk. It's maybe a mile away from the school and easily reachable during a walk (although they'd be gone closer to an hour rather than the usual forty-five minutes). The students didn't mind.

So, they divided up for exercise, and Leanna joined the walkers. What? 

Leanna is a pretty good dancer. She clearly enjoys it. But, if she wanted to walk, I wasn't going to keep her back. 

Upon their return, I learned why Leanna chose the walk. 

Leanna was going to buy herself a snack at Dollar Tree. 

But, Leanna's mom is very particular about her diet. It's a thing, and I won't go into all of it here. Suffice it to say that we have to make sure Leanna doesn't sneak in food that she shouldn't have. 

The other aide informed Leanna that she couldn't get a snack at Dollar Tree. Suddenly, Leanna wasn't happy about being on the walk. 

At least Leanna's mother will be happy to know that Leanna got a walk that day. 

(I dislike being the food police. And I'm not with the other students. But Leanna's mother has concerns, and she's the parent, so we try to make sure her wishes are followed.)

26 comments:

  1. I would go for a walk, too. With or without a snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the aides hate the in-class exercise, so they do the walk and I'm left in class.

      Delete
  2. When I worked in a Life Skills class, we always loved "Exercise Day."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exercise is great, especially when you can get off school grounds.

      Delete
  3. I wish someone would trick me into walking. Ha, love this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda hard to trick someone into getting up, putting on shoes, going out, et al. But if there's some way to trick you, I think we could find someone to do it ;)

      Delete
  4. I actual like walking and with ice I haven't walk resenty.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can the food situation as a problem. But, it seems the parents have put you and the other teachers/aides etc in a bad spot of being the bad guy. Guess she'll stay behind to dance next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't usually stop someplace while on the walk. This was a one time situation.

      Delete
  6. Walking is good. Fresh air is important. Maybe students should alternate dance and walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get to go out on CBI. (Well, we used to...) They get plenty of time outside every day.

      Delete
  7. That sure does ask a lot out of a teacher that is there to teach but, I understand her mom. While at school someone needs to be able to turn her away from what she probably knows she should not have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tricky spot, for sure. We're learning.

      Delete
  8. Popping in to say hi today, rounding from Traveling Suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like mother and daughter are in a power struggle over food. This probably isn't going to end well and it could go on for years. Sorry the school has been forced to take sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally it's the sort of thing that would end when the child grew up and moved out. Alas, in this case Leanna will always need someone to take care of her (even though she'll probably achieve some independence). So, I don't see this ending for her any time soon.

      Delete
  10. Do they walk in inclement weather? If they do, than being in-class would be a benefit.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.