Monday, June 14, 2021

It's Complicated

A couple weeks ago, I previewed the Tahesha the Dragon(ess) cable pattern. And while I have absolutely no purpose for the thing, I purchased the pattern and printed out the massive PDF (29 pages). (Well, I went to a copy shop and had it printed. Totally worth it.) 

The pattern comes with a warning: 

Due to the many different and sometimes unusual techniques plus the necessity to work said techniques on right and wrong side rows, an advanced skill level is needed to knit Tahesha, and some practice and perseverance may be required at times. 

And then some...

I think at this point in my life, I can pretend to an advanced skill level as a knitter. The pattern includes pictures of the various "unusual" techniques, and I have reference materials for the specific stitches that I don't do on a regular basis. (The pattern requires certain increases that I don't do all that often.) 

All I needed was to pick a yarn from my stash, find the needles that went with it, and dig out a few alternate needles for the "unusual" techniques. Then I was ready to go.

Last week I knit the plain part before the pattern began in earnest. 

Once I was ready to begin, I sat down with my reference book, my pattern, and all the stuff I could possibly need. And I began. 

And... it's as difficult as advertised. 

It's not undoable. But I definitely wasn't paying attention to the TV. (I do need some background noise while I knit, but I was frequently pausing the show when I'd get into a tangle.) 

There is a chart, but it's difficult to read. I've been using the written instructions. Stitch by stitch. Cable by cable. Reading the instructions, copying them, and then double checking. Recounting. Finding I miscounted. Again. 

And then last Thursday I totally misread the pattern and was flummoxed for an hour just as the internet went out. 

(Streaming TV doesn't work without internet. And I'm the person in the household who knows how to fix said internet when it goes wonky. In the end, this required a service call and replacement of equipment.) 

I was thisclose to frogging and starting over. Sometimes it's good to be stubborn. 

So far, I've got this: 

I'm not quite halfway through. It's slow going and it requires way more concentration than I usually give my projects. 

Hopefully it'll be worth it in the end. We'll see. I still have absolutely no purpose for it once it's complete. 

25 comments:

  1. Oh that looks cool. Love the color also. Yep, I don't do concentration stuff anymore. Used to be able to read and follow directions but can't seem to soak that sort of stuff anymore. That will be cool when you get it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to do it bit by bit. It's doable as long as I don't try to remember too many things at once.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you can make a bag out of it. Because you will finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. I'll finish it before I decide what to do with it.

      Delete
  3. Well, it looks impressive so far. The finished product is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, looks pretty, and sounds a lot complicated. Advanced level for sure, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It is. I wouldn't recommend it for a new knitter (at least one that doesn't want to really spend some time on something).

      Delete
  6. It looks awesome so far, and it's a beautiful colour! Even if it is very tricky I think you'll be so proud of the finished result in the end!

    Hope that your week is off to a good start :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Color is lovely! You are a brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about brave. I wanted to know how it's done.

      Delete
  8. Way to go, Liz. I think sometimes it's nice to have a perfectly unnecessary piece of clothing in the wardrobe. You never know, there might be the odd cold day each year where you get to wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I am not a knitter, as you know but just looking at the different knits and the raised part makes me think it is very difficult. Kudos to you for doing this and you will accomplish this. Depending on the scene it could be something you hang on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seem crafters gives or sale there handy work.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've gotten a lot done. My cousin is really into knitting, and I've been amazed at how complicating (and pretty) some knitting patterns are these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I linked back to see what the pattern will look like and that is so cool! I can't wait to see yours when it's done! I did like it on that sweater. Are you going to keep it when you're done? Sometimes I keep my more challenging crafts just because I know how much time and how many swear words went into it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I wanted to try it out first. I might make a sweater with it or something else. Maybe.

      Delete
  13. "Pretend I have an advanced skill level." Of course you do, Liz. Happy you are going for it, even though it's going to be hard. Somehow I missed your introductory post (I just went back and read it.) At one time I would have attempted a pattern requiring lots of concentration. No more. Is it a by product of aging? I sometimes wonder. Anyway, good luck, and if you survive...I mean, if you finish it, you can be right proud and no longer pretend you have advanced skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see something like this pattern, something I want to understand how to make, I'll suck it up and do the concentrating part. I have to be in the right mood. Given the right motivation, I think you'd attempt something that required concentration, too.

      Delete
  14. So I missed the original introduction to the dragon pattern, but I just went back to check it out and OMG THAT IS SOOOO COOL AND I LOVE IT!

    And yes, I also agree with the others who think you can do more than just pretend to have an advanced skill level.

    ReplyDelete
  15. KnitFoolDeirdre on RavJuly 20, 2021 at 3:01 PM

    Thank you for the excellent blog post - I was looking for a good dragon pattern to add to a bag that I'm knitting ... This one is very appealing ... I'm not sure if the size will work, but I may use this pattern for a future project.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.