Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Ruins


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements. ðŸ˜‰

I'm not officially doing the A to Z Challenge this year, but I thought it would be fun to match posts to the letter of the day anyway.

What if you woke up to find that while you slept, your town had been destroyed? (For the purposes of this question, your home was unharmed, and your family is safe.)

Believe it or not, I wrote this as well as all the "what if?" posts for this month on March 6th. I had no idea what the world would be like when they went live. But I'm letting them post anyway...

15 comments:

  1. Sounds a little familiar today... ;) You have been visionary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the great "Twilight Zone" episode 'Time Enough at Last' staring Burgess Meredith. And oh, yes, I'm having way too much fun with our vacuum sealer. :) Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think this was a bit in my mind when I wrote the question. Just make sure to have a backup pair of glasses ;)

      Delete
  3. I wouldn’t say my town is “destroyed”. More like, it was hit with a neutron bomb. That was a weapon that was supposed to kill all the people but leave the buildings standing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. Yes, that could work. (I didn't explain what happened as I had no idea what would do it.)

      Delete
  4. I guess I would have to figure out where to go next but I would spend time mourning lives lost and businesses ect that were destroyed. I would also wonder why I had such great luck to have not been destroyed.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably wouldn't notice for a while. Then I'd be happy that I could go places without having to wait in line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then we would be in a real crisis! This sounds like what my mom experienced and millions of others even today so be thankful all we have to do is complain about being inside for a while longer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'm good with being stuck inside. As far as plagues go, this is definitely the way to ride it out.

      Delete
  7. I'd be sad, but I'd keep going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd go inside and go back to bed.

    Kinda feels like that considering our town/county went from a handful of cases to 600 in just two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode with the man who found himself alone in the world, and then he breaks his glasses. Something like that would probably happen to us. The current virus, on the other hand, is like destruction in slow motion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This could be terrifying! Hopefully there will someone in some other town with whom we will be able to connect.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.