Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Not Today


It's district writing assessment time. Oh joy...

During the prep/lunch period (at the continuation high school, one prep period is considered lunch), the counselor came in to deliver three writing assessments for students in the next period. She pointed out one, mentioned the boy by name, and said he really needed to work on this in class. Okay, then.

The next period arrived. I passed out the writing assessments. The boy had turned on his computer and had Krunker going. (This is the game of the moment at that school.) I realized he was the one the counselor had told me about. (I'm slow with names, but at a certain point I realize who is who.) I handed him his assessment.

"I'm not doing this today."

Me: "Ms. D said you need to write this."

"No, I talked to Ms. D. She said I don't have to do this today as I'm leaving at 1:55. I'll do it tomorrow."

Me: "That's about a half hour away. You have plenty of time to start."

And around it went. He wasn't having any of it. He was going to play his game.

Of course, on my way out, I ran into Ms. D. I told her all about what the boy had not done in class. (The principal was there, too.) She confirmed that she had told him to start writing the essay. Apparently, he doesn't realize I talk to people at the school.

Deep sigh. There's a whole lot of apathy and not doing any work going on at the continuation high school right now. We'll see if they get any more motivated the closer they get to their projected graduation date.

33 comments:

  1. No wonder we're lagging other countries in our math and science. I'm sure we're behind in our ability to express ourselves in the written word, too. Sighing out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question is, will anything be done about it?
    Bummer, we didn't get to play video games at school...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be hard to deal with apathy. How can you get them to realize their choices now impact their life tomorrow.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz - if only they would realise they need to learn before they leave school ... but more importantly they need to realise that they need to educate themselves ... and playing games doesn't fall into that category ... learning something and do something new every day - challenge oneself. I do hope things can change for the kids of today - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wait until Ms. D gets a hold of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When games become more important than reality. Haven't we seen a few movies lately warning about this? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. But I don't think they got the message.

      Delete
  7. I know that how difficult to be teacher now.
    Have a great October

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always seem to handle situations involving students who aren't keen on doing their work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because I self-select. I don't tend to write about the times I screw up badly.

      Delete
  9. School does draw out the apathy in people... I don't know how they can think you'll let them get away with it. They haven't yet realized that actions have consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even know why they continue to try to help these kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because some of them do make use of the opportunity. I don't often write about them. They don't make for good stories.

      Delete
  11. Just like our characters in our stories need motivation, so do people in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He will be a future Credit Counselling client....they don’t listen either

    ReplyDelete
  13. So if Krunker is the latest thing I guess it will soon hit our shores. Great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's online, so it's already hit your shores. Sorry.

      Delete
  14. When I read about your adventures in teaching I have to ask, “are there any kids graduating from schools these days”? Seriously what is their issues? I was not a big fan of school, being the social butterfly I was I thought I was there to have fun and make friends, but I still had mom at home that made sure I kept grades up...and she did it with just by being sure that she instilled the knowledge that my ass was in a lot of trouble if I did not do my work. Kids and that “knowledge”has changed so much over the yrs. Course non parenting has added to the issue also. Wow, I could not do what you do....I would explode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind the kiddos I talk about make good stories. Students who do their work don't usually make for good stories.

      Delete
  15. Oh and thanks for the info on the blue pumpkins

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait. You talk to the teachers? Say it isn't so! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's interesting how teens think teachers won't talk to subs about what's going on. Maybe it's just a life lesson we all need to learn at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't they realise it won't go away?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.