Monday, October 1, 2018

The New Camera

I bought a new camera a couple weeks ago. I'm still not convinced I really needed it.


My old camera was a Christmas present several years ago. I've had it for at least twelve years. Maybe fourteen. So, yeah, it can be argued that since the technology was clearly outdated, it was time to upgrade. But it did the job still.

I mean, the old camera had some issues. There was a lag between the time I'd press the shutter button and the image was captured. But I mostly take product photos now, so that wasn't a big deal.


And, the camera required AA batteries. Batteries that it went through quickly. I was lucky if a set of two batteries lasted through two photo sessions. So, I could get roughly 200 pictures out of a set (and that's a high estimate as to how many pictures I'd take in two photo sessions).

Still, these were known issues and I was dealing with them.

A couple years ago (okay, maybe five), the camera no longer held onto the date and time. So, every time I was ready to take pictures, I had to set the date and time. No biggie, really. And if I had to change the batteries mid-photo shoot (the camera ate batteries, so having to change batteries mid-shoot was common), I'd have to reset the date and time.


Again, I got used to that. At least I didn't have to remember to fix the time when Daylight Saving Time started or ended.

Then, about two years ago, the LCD screen stopped showing images. That is, when I take a picture, it would flash briefly on the LCD screen so I could make sure the image captured. But no longer. When that first happened, I thought the image wasn't being stored on the SD card. But it turned out it was.

So, the camera had some issues that I had learned to deal with. I still got fairly decent images. It still worked.


The new camera has a rechargeable battery (yay!) and its SD card holds over 10,000 images (as opposed to my old camera's 515). The new SD card even fits into my laptop. (No more dragging out the cable to connect the camera to the computer.)

But I'm still not convinced that I really needed a new camera. (Especially as I struggle to learn how to operate the new camera and I fight with the focus--getting images to come out in focus isn't working as easily as I would like.) Someone, please, talk me off this ledge.

28 comments:

  1. Hi Liz - sadly ... it's reading the instructions and then practising ... and I'm sure not having to fiddle around before starting will help, once you've mastered the newbie. Good luck .. . cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. it will just take playing with it. At least you're not chewing through batteries anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll get used to it and then I' sure you'll love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the getting used to part I wish I could skip.

      Delete
  4. I like the pictures you took with I'm assuming your new camera. I think you needed it based on what your other one wasn't doing. These days though it seems so many people just take pictures with their cell phones. I bet you'll get the hang of it soon!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post sounded like me when it was way past time for me to get a new laptop.

    Based what you said, I think you made the right decision getting a new camera. And if it's like me with my new laptop, once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you waited so long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it definitely sounds like it was time for an upgrade. Just think about how much less waste there is with the batteries. Seriously Liz. You NEEDED this camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I no longer us a camera because my cell phone takes such good pictures. I am not really much of a photographer anymore since all the kids are gone. Just keep practicing. You will soon be a pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do have my cell phone, but I wanted a dedicated camera.

      Delete
  8. You'll get the hang of the new one soon <333

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a point & shoot Nikon that is over 12 years old. The display screen in the back is wonky. Like it's psychedelic or something. I can kinda-sorta tell what I'm shooting. I have a newer Canon point & shoot, but I still use that Nikon because in certain conditions, it still takes better photos. (And I look like a crazy woman at TSO concerts every year taking pictures with two cameras and my phone. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My camera is the phone, and no SD Card either, since all the pics are automatically backed up in the cloud. However, there have been many occasions, when I have had the inclination to buy a dedicated camera. May be, one day I shall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could just use my phone, but I like having a camera. Back up, I guess.

      Delete
  11. It always takes me a while to get adjusted to something new like that. I hated my smartphone when we first upgraded from flip phones, and now I'm not sure how I lived without it. Maybe you should spend some time just playing with the camera to learn its features and get a feel for what it can do. Take it to the park or a museum or something that's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was doing with the pictures in this post, just playing around.

      Delete
  12. Sometimes I feel like I collect cameras like some women do purses or shoes!!!! As a photographer I have three professional Nikons, then two point and shoots! Plus the one I use most on my phone! Wait...I still have a film camera too! So I would be the first to tell you after what I read that it was the thing to do...buying a new camera. Don’t feel bad, I have one point and shot that I have had for several yrs that I still have issues working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother collects cameras. He has several as well. And yes, he's a professional, so it makes sense.

      Delete
  13. Once you get used to it, you will no longer deal with the old camera. As I say to many, human beings are adaptable to change but we are resistant to it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having a new camera with which to take pics of your creations for Etsy makes sense. Hopefully, you'll get the hang of the new machinery in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure with time your new camera will feel more familiar to you. Your old camera was a bit like an old friend; it had its issues but you loved it despite them and had learned to work around them.

    I recently had to get a new laptop and felt a slightly similar to you. My old one was slowly dying and the keyboard would randomly stop and start working so it wasn't really usable for typing anything. But there are features that I'm still learning to use on my new one. But the more I use it, the more I love it.

    Have fun with your new camera. Perhaps now that you've got one that is better for more than just taking product photos you could take it out and take pictures of the places you visit and people you know, that way you'll be getting more use out of it doing things you couldn't have done with your old camera and you might feel like it was a more worthwhile purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm the wrong person to talk you down from the ledge, Liz. :-) My 10+ year old camera is like your old camera. I'm happy with it even though I've started the stage of talking myself into purchasing a new camera. But I may need and want a laptop instead since browsers no longer update for my old OS system. I need to win a lottery or something.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought myself a new camera for the exact reasons you bought yours. So I'm totally on the side of the new camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you needed a new camera. From what I understand about photography, time is everything. Every second needed to change batteries, upload images, edit those images, etc, etc… takes away from your valuable free time (or if you work in the business, any money you make). However, since neither of us are a photographer I very much understand the desire to save money and keep using what works even if it doesn't work as well or quickly as it could. I kept my old laptop for over 10 years … until my husband decided to water it. (Lesson learned: laptops are not plants and don't need watering. 😂 Oh – and replacements are hella expensive. 😢) Maybe this new camera will get you through a decade or more and you'll learn to love it? Or maybe you'll regret wasting your money. Who knows? At least the environment will be better for it since your batteries are now rechargeable.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.