Friday, October 5, 2018

The Wait


Called to cover an extra period after lunch, I figured I'd get a jump start on what they'd be doing by getting there a bit early. I called for someone to come and open the room for me.

I got to the classroom a good three minutes before the end of lunch. I waited. Then the bell rang.

Ah well. It wasn't like three minutes was going to make that much of a difference.

As the students arrived (eighth graders), they waited along with me. A few asked why we were waiting. I told them we needed someone to unlock the door.

The passing period ended with no security in sight. Um...

(I should mention that eighth graders do not wait patiently. They wait loudly. And now all the other classes were in session.)

I called again. "I'm still waiting for someone to come and unlock this door."

Apparently, someone had forgotten to make the walkie-talkie call...

Since I had no desk to thump my head on, I'll call this a headwall.

(Security spends their time on campus, observing. Transporting. And such. So, to get into contact with them, one needs to contact them via walkie-talkie. This is easy enough to do as the front office staff has a walkie-talkie or two. Ideally, they grab the walkie-talkie right after someone calls them. Not this time, though.)

Security did arrive shortly after this. Well, two different people arrived. Then there was the whole different issue of getting the kiddos to settle down and get to work, but that's a different story altogether.

27 comments:

  1. I'm sure the kiddos didn't mind having to wait on getting started on their work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the kiddos would have been fine if we had spent the whole period outside.

      Delete
  2. Apparently someone in the front office got distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least you tried to be there a bit early to prepare :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow talk about things not going right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the first time this has happened to me.

      Delete
  5. yeah, this one thing can set the kids off to not want to work at all. I was a kid once:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A disrupted lesson start is a good way to guarantee an entire lesson will be disrupted.

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine them getting all wound up by it. At that age, it doesn't take much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the world's problems (I think) could be solved with excellent communication. This is an example of what happens in the absence of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. School now seem to...something or other.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  10. It bugged me to have to ask the custodian to unlock my classroom door. If he were busy, then I had to wait and wait. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. They used to give us keys for that extra period, but no more. Sigh. Such a hassle.

      Delete
  11. Ha...wat my luck goes, no one shows then two do! Sorry I have to say my waiting is about like an eight grader!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How frustrating. Ugh... You're right about how fast things can change. ~grin~ Now I'm glad to be home with two healthy kitties and two excellent pairs of eyeglasses. Heh... Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Birgit's comment. :-) The kid in me would've been happy to hang out in the hallway the whole period.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the chaos. Hair-ripping-out time, amirite?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet that interlude really brightened up their day - if not yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seems different to here. All the classrooms have the same lock so any teacher can open a door for you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.