Friday, February 13, 2015

Under 99


"How old are you?"

Me: "Over 21."

Student: "But under what?"

Me: "100."

Student: "You have to use a two-digit number."

Me: "Okay. I'm under 99."

The student didn't like this. He was going to pester me until I told him. And I wasn't going to tell him. I tried going the asking-someone's-age-is-rude route, but he wasn't having that either. So, he started grasping at straws.

Student: "You can't use any number bigger than 50."

Me: "But what if I'm over 50?"

Other students chimed in to say that I didn't look like I was over 50. Defeated, the boy said I had to use 65.

Me: "Okay, I'm under 65."

I suppose I should just tell them my age. But I don't want to.

10 comments:

  1. Kinda rude I think to ask your age. I wouldn't tell him either.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've explained that asking a woman's age is rude, but middle schoolers just don't get that.

      Delete
  2. I think "under 99" is the perfect answer. But of course the kid probably took it as some sort of challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you answered him! Good for you!! I would do all I could to fluster him:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always being asked my age. I let them guess and just agree to whatever I think sounds flattering but feasible :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just worries me when they guess something so much older...

      Delete
  5. You could just tell him it wasn't anyone's business or - and maybe this is better - that you don't give your age out to prevent people from judging you by your age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once gave some kids my age as a maths problem. They solved it and figured out how old I was, but at least it kept them quiet and somewhat on task while they tried to work it out, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's clever. I would do that, but I don't actually want them to figure it out.

      Delete
  7. Don't they know they're never supposed to ask a person's age or weight? I'll tell my age, though. You'll never get my weight out of me!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.