Thursday, November 27, 2014

Chasing a Raccoon

I decided to take the week off, so to speak. I did work last week, and I have some stories, but I'll post those next week, when we're all back to work (sort of). Which means today I'm doing a #ThrowbackThursday for the holiday. This post originally appeared on November 5, 2009. Enjoy. 


Today was day four with the opportunity class.

First thing this morning, they came in, sat down, and did their work peacefully. A minor miracle.

As they were working, Jake had a story to tell. I thought I'd share:

Jake had a run in with the police last night. He was out late, and he was running. The police pulled up beside him, flashed a light in his face, and asked him what he was doing.

Jake explained that he was chasing a raccoon.

Jake saw the raccoon earlier. He tried to take its picture with his cell phone, but it was too dark. Then the raccoon took off. Jake decided to chase it.

("Why?" I asked. What would he want with a raccoon? "I wanted to kick it," Jake replied. I tried explaining why this was not a good idea, but Jake didn't see my point.)

The cops told Jake that this was dangerous. The raccoon could attack and scratch him up badly. Jake could get rabies. Then the cops let Jake go ("I didn't even have to get in the car," he marveled).

Jake was relieved. He is on probation. He could have gone back to juvie.

Was any of this true? I have no idea. Jake told it convincingly. It could be true.

I'm never sure what to believe, so I listen and reserve judgement.

I remember this week. In my nightmares. This class no longer exists as the teacher now teaches something else somewhere else. How she put up with these kids for as long as she did, I have no idea.

10 comments:

  1. I believe there was a raccoon because they are raccoons abundantly here. Son used to see some when he was walking home from where he would hang out when we lived in the Laguna Niguel area in the evening hours before 10 p.m. since he too was on probation, LOL :) I'm not sure Jake was chasing it though, but it was a great story to tell to the police. I'm sure the police didn't feel Jake was a threat in any way to anything otherwise they would have pursued things more. I wonder if they ran his name and found if he was on probation or not.

    Good for you to take the week off :)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have some time off. If it was true I would want to kick Jake! One should never harm an animal!! I have a feeling he was up to something no good though but when the police talked to him they found nothing to use on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He wanted to kick it? Charming. No wonder he was on probation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well... That's kind of what all those boys were like. Kind of the point of the class, really.

      Delete
  4. Que bonito post, me he paseado por tu bloc y me ha encantado.
    Te animo a hacer una ojeada en el post de esta semana y seguro que veras algunas ideas realmente interesantes.Deseo que te guste y si es así y no eres seguidora espero que te hagas, gracias por visitarme.
    Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That child sounds like someone destined for a lifetime of trouble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the description of the class, actually. They don't end up there unless they've done basically nothing in school up until then.

      Delete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving! Dealing with a class full of the type of person who thought kicking a racoon was a good idea (cruelty plus stupidity) would give me nightmares too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm inclined to think part of the story was true, but not all of it because it makes Jake seem pretty much an idiot. That's not usually why boys tell stories. Doubt he'd mentioned to the cops he was running after a raccoon so he could kick it. On the other hand, sociopaths tend to be good liars, so it's possible none of it's true.

    Glad you escaped that week unscathed (nightmares not withstanding).

    Enjoy your time off!

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.