Monday, November 25, 2013

Roll Taking Rant

It was first period in an 8th grade US history class. I was attempting to take roll via the seating chart.

As I normally do, I called out names of students in seats that were currently unoccupied. The first name I called informed me that he was over on the other side of the room. His seat should have held a girl, but she was elsewhere as well. By the third or fourth student, I was done with the seating chart. The students confirmed that the teacher moved them about a lot, so the seating chart wasn't accurate.

At this point, I would normally pull out the class roster and just call roll that way. But the teacher didn't have any class rosters. The teachers at this school are lazy about rosters as we subs are given a temporary password to access their online attendance. But, this teacher had no computer in his classroom.

Grrr!

So, not only could I not call the roll, I couldn't input the roll as is my job. (The teacher does have a computer he uses, but it's a laptop, and he takes it with him when he's not at school. Which I totally understand. But it would be nice if there was something there--ancient and slow would be fine--for my use on days when he's not there.)

I did the only thing I could do. I pulled out a sheet of paper and had the whole class sign in.

Sigh.

Some days! I swear, some teachers don't think about the things we subs need to take care of their classes.

Okay, rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.