Friday, January 4, 2013

The Occasional Worker

I ran into Juan quite a lot in December. So, it was no surprise to see him again the last day I worked before the winter break.

The first time I met Juan was in opportunity. Every time I've seen him since, he's been one of the students who spends the period talking. Pestering. And doing no work.

That day, Juan actually took the time to look at the day's assignment and pull out a textbook. He got out paper and a pencil. I didn't think too much of it. I expected it all to be pretense, although it was more than he usually did. Then he really shocked me. He appeared to do the assignment.

I held my breath. This student does no work. Ever. And yet...

He asked me a question. Not "what page?" or "we really have to do this?". Nope. He asked an actual question about how to answer one of the assignment questions (and it was a reasonable question, too).

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

I suppose I shouldn't say Juan does no work ever. Because, apparently, he will pull out the book and do some work. Occasionally.

2 comments:

  1. People can change all the time. It starts by recognizing that there's a need for it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Perhaps he had a change of heart. It does happen sometimes. Let's hope it's a permanent thing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.