Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Accidental Calls

There are some days that I really shouldn't write anything that's ever going to be read by anybody. This is one of those days. So, today I'm reposting an old post from July 26, 2007. 

I was back at the continuation high school today. This is rather early in the school year for them. The other teachers were shocked that anyone was out so soon. They started back on Tuesday.

A funny thing happened in first period...

They don't have phones in the classrooms there. What they have is an intecom system. Push the call button once and the office responds. Push the call button multiple times and security comes running. I use the intercom sparingly.

So, it was near the end of first period and the intercom went off: "Office."

I didn't call them. That's when I saw the student sitting on a stool right in front of the call button. The stool was right up against the wall. The button was back height.

Me to him: "Did you lean against the button?" Then, me to the office: "Oops, sorry. Hit the button by mistake."

I glared at the student.

Seconds later, security showed up. He burst into the room.

"What's wrong?"

I glared at the student again. At this point the student realized that sitting on that stool--not such a good idea. He found himself another seat. And I had no more accidental office calls.

After this, I never saw that stool in that spot again. Although, I am a lot more careful about the call button.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes people just have to push the button. Just thank your lucky stars that he isn't in control of some nuclear arsenal with a big red button that says "Do not push".

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.