Tuesday, October 15, 2024

I Voted, So Please Shut Up

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

I live in California. They now send all registered voters mail-in ballots. I got mine about a week and a half ago. (And I returned it all filled in a week ago.)

We have the option of doing the mail-in ballot or going to our polling place on election day. There's also early in-person voting. Options. 

And I'd like one more option...

What if those who have already submitted their ballots could opt out of all the political ads? What if there was a way to just "I voted" out of the TV commercials? What if the various campaigns could find out who returned a ballot so they wouldn't waste their time mailing out the various flyers?

4 comments:

  1. I wish!

    In NY absentee ballots are mailed out to voters 45 days before the election, and in person early voting begins October 26. I will likely do early voting, I am already sick of the political ads and cannot wait for November 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then there would be no reason for those ads cause everyone would opt out to not watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch TV, so don't get commercials. I keep getting texts asking for donations, but I just delete them. I don't try to block numbers, since there is an endless number of numbers to use. My state is only vote by mail, but we don't have our ballots yet. We drop them off outside the library in the ballot box, or drive by the election office downtown. Easy. And it's safe. My daughter, when first voting, changed her handwriting, as young women do, and they contacted her to come in and set it right. They really do check.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.