Friday, May 10, 2024

Short Time

Wednesday. Sixth period. Computer science.

Before getting into the lesson of the day, I was dealing with "announcements". These weren't official or anything. They were basically a list of things the students needed to remember. The job fair I had been preparing them for was the next day. We were just about at the end of the unit, so a test would be forthcoming...

As it was my last solo day with the class (the next time I had them in class would be my "transition day" with Mr. J), I informed them that it was going to be up to him whether or not this test happened on Monday.

Reid: "Mr. J is coming back?"

"Yes."

Reid: "I thought he was gone the rest of the year." 

I... Uh...

I never made it a secret that Mr. J would be back, nor did I ever not mention when. 

But this is Reid we're talking about. (Click on the above link for my first mention of him on the blog.) He's been pretty tuned out for much of the two months I've been teaching the class.

I got into the lesson of the day, and Reid pulled out his phone and ignored the lesson. Which is what he's been doing, so no surprise. (I bet it won't surprise you to find out his grade is 35% and he's barely done any of the assignments.)

And so, this concludes my long term assignment. For now. Next week (read: this week) I'm back in the day-to-day trenches. (Although, I still have a transition day. But, unless something interesting happens that day, I doubt I'll mention it.) 

21 comments:

  1. And your school year will be over soon, correct? Seems like your stint in Mr. J's classes just began. Time is flying too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secretary said "two more Fridays", and she's right. Four more weeks...

      Delete
  2. Your Reid seems to be quite an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I think life after high school is going to be a hard wake up call for him.

      Delete
  4. A future candidate for the continuation high school, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't envy teachers these days..... good for you that survived this long term assignment. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phones seams to be an issue now days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's just say he's disappointed you won't be finishing the year with them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The KR meme LOL. I can not believe that phones are allowed in school that is nuts. I hope you used pseudonym you know how things are these days. I really don't know what to think anymore with some young people. I hate to say this but sometimes I think we are doomed.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that phones are allowed, it's that there's no good way to enforce a ban. They don't have lockers, and let's just say attempting to confiscate a phone is met with more trouble than it's worth.

      Delete
  9. I am glad there were no cell phones when I was in school, attention span would have be wrecked

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, the cell phones during class - I don't know how anyone can learn with the distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids school doesn't allow cell phones in classrooms. They must be in their lockers at all times else they get confiscated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm from the X-generation and so, so grateful we didn't have smart phones or social media. :D "Dumb" cell phones would have been great, though, as I have likely mentioned before. Meeting up with friends on the go wouldn't have been such a trial. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.