Friday, May 29, 2009

Occupational Hazard

"I've seen this movie fifty times."

Yeah, but have you ever watched the first 55 minutes six times in a row?  Then you have nothing to complain about.

I'm feeling a bit snarky as well as cranky.  It's 5th period, and this is my fifth time through the first 50-odd minutes of The Outsiders.  (Six periods in a row doing the same thing.)  I'm slowly losing my mind.

This is by no means the first time I've experienced this.  I know the drill.  The first time through is when I'm interested.  Period 2, I get to see things I missed the first time through, and I catch on to other nuances.  By period 3 I'm a little bored.  By period 5 I have to have something else to do.

To make this viewing more interesting, I have two girls who will not shut up. I've asked, shushed, cajoled, and threatened.  Fine.  If they won't listen to me, then perhaps they will listen to their teacher.  I've listed their names (with *s next to them) in my note. 

The period is nearly over.  I know because I just looked up and the church was on fire.  (No need to consult a clock anymore.)  Finally.  

I only have to watch this thing one more time.  What am I going to do?  I need something.  I.  Can't.  Watch.  This.  Again.

And the worst part?  First 55 minutes: 6 times.  Last 35 minutes?  Not at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.