Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Two Scenes from Math Class

Monday. Ninth grade math. (It's kind of a combo of algebra and geometry.) I had covered the class the prior Thursday and Friday, so I kind of knew what I was in for. 

Actually, I kind of knew what I was in for before I took the assignment, and that was confirmed when I saw the class rosters. I recognized many names from success seminar in October

I just can't narrow it down, so I've got two stories for you.

It was getting towards the end of the first class of the day. I had offered to help them with the assignment. (They were graphing exponential functions.) No takers. 

Then, one boy: "Will you give me the answers if I pay you one dollar?"

I expressed how insulted I was at that price. So, they raised it, first to five dollars, and then to ten. I explained that they would be buying my expertise, and I took all the math in college. (Well, not all the math. I wasn't a math major. But I took the basic calculus sequence, and I ruined the curve in a senior level math class.) 

I wasn't about to give them answers. "I will help you do it, though." 

"How much do you want for that?" 

Me: "That is what the school is paying me to be here to do. I will help you for free." 

Alas, we had less than ten minutes of class, so I only got to help one boy with one problem. If only they had asked sooner...

In the next period, I had two girls who I remembered well from success seminar. Not in a good way.

They took seats in the corner, and while there was a lot of giggling, at least it was fairly quiet giggling. (The room was nearly silent, which surprised me.) 

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spied them pulling something out of a backpack. I got up to investigate.

Marta dropped the item immediately. It made a big clunk. 

I only caught a glimpse, but it appeared to be a flat iron. You know, for hair? (It could have been a curling iron, but it was a bit bulkier than that.) 

Marta was standing, so she quickly plugged the thing into the wall. (I should mention that the room was carpeted.)

I told her to unplug the thing. She hesitated, but did. I told her to put it away. She said she would, but made no move to do so.

So, I hovered. I wasn't right next to her, but I was in the front of the room in front of her and Kristen. 

Eventually, Marta sat back down in her seat. I took that as my cue to go back to my station. I kept an eye on them. I never saw them put away the flat iron, but they didn't start doing each other's hair, so that was a win.

(I have seen girls do their own or each other's hair in class before, but never before with an appliance. I mean, I don't allow it, but sometimes they do not listen and do what they want to do anyway.)

I thought if I wrote both stories out I'd figure out which one I'd post. I still can't decide, so I'll leave them both for you. I was really glad to see the end of that day. 

22 comments:

  1. I never had anyone pull out an appliance with which to do their hair, but I did once have a student decide to change his clothes in the middle of class and was in the process of stripping down to his boxers when I was all, "Um...what are you doing?"

    Also laughing at the first story. Sounds like 9th grade, all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog. I am also a substitute teacher and I do sometimes post about my experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah kids. :)

    I try to convey to my daughter to ask for help if she doesn't understand something. At least she's no longer timid about coming to me, but getting her to speak up in class is another problem.

    And I wonder, if it was a hot iron, how did they expect not to melt their backpack when they were done and had to put it away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the issue I thought of. Why would you put a hot iron on the carpeted floor? Yikes. It wasn't plugged in long enough to be an issue, but what if I hadn't caught them? I can't imagine what they were planning (because there's not a teacher on campus who would allow it).

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine why those girls end up in success seminar! Of all the things I can imagine students doing in class, plugging in a hair appliance isn't one of them. To even think it's okay is unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of things I had no idea they'd attempt... Just when I think I've seen everything, they come up with something new.

      Delete
  5. HAHA.....well, if I was doing your job I would be thankful for each day of school ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days aren't so bad. Today I've got a day so easy I'm worrying about falling asleep in class.

      Delete
  6. They do each other's hair in class? Only girls can get away with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. They shouldn't. They try, sometimes. But I really haven't seen the whole cosmetic things that I've seen them try in some years now.

      Delete
  7. Well, those stories leave me scratching my head. The boys must have heard that teachers are paid squat and the girls have no sense of classroom propriety. Wonder what their parents are like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the thing. I'll talk to teachers about various students, and they'll say they met the parents and it explained so much.

      Delete
  8. Of course she brings a flat iron to school. She's not an animal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. When I see ridiculous things, I must report on them.

      Delete
  10. Flat irons are not cheap! I've thought of getting one but even I balk at the $50+ price tag. Where are these kids getting that kind of disposable income?

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG they brought a flat iron to school? I can hear them scheming, one promising to do the other's hair, "lets do it in the sub's class, we can away with it with a sub"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But they knew me from success seminar. Both of them. I didn't allow them to do those sorts of things there, so why would they think I'd allow them in math class? At that age, they don't really think that far ahead.

      Delete
  12. I would take that flat iron away. I recall girl’s doing each other so hair in my day but they were told to stop or else...they tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. You do not know the horror of taking something away from them. "That's mine." "You can't take my stuff." "I'll sue." And that's just the tame stuff. Oh, they holler. It gets ugly fast. It's not worth the battle. I'll never get the class back under control after something like that.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.