Thursday, May 5, 2022

Ending the Year 13

1. There are 19 school days left. 

2. I'm not generally a counter-down, but I am in this one class until the last day of school, so I set up a countdown. For me. And the other staff. And the students. 

3. Usually, I'm a bit ambivalent towards summer. No work = no paycheck. But this year I'm really looking forward to the downtime. It's been a long year. 

4. And yet... I signed up for summer school. The list was sitting there when I dropped in to the district office. I looked at it. I thought about it. And then I put my name down. I mean, what are the chances that I'll actually get called? (Don't answer that.) 

5. I feel fairly confident that the rest of this school year should go smoothly. Well, as smoothly as my current long-term assignment goes. I knew what I was getting into when I agreed to take over this class. And now we're in a sort of rhythm, so barring unforeseen crazy, we should be able to ride out the rest of the year.

6. Jayden has integrated into the class fairly seamlessly. The nurse who's his one-to-one has fit in with the class nicely. She and Keyla became instant best friends, which works out. And the whole lunch thing never came to pass, so all that previous drama was for naught. 

7. I got tired of having to change Penelope's videos every three minutes, so I created a YouTube playlist for her. Unfortunately, it only has nine songs on it. She loves every song (going by her squeals of glee when a new song starts), but it's only nine songs. They're all by One Direction. I would like to add some more songs that Penelope might like. Any ideas? (We've tried introducing her to other boy bands, but I really don't know that many. Help.)

8. I have been printing out coloring pages like crazy. Did you know you can find coloring pages online? I found Jonas' favorite band. There's Star Wars (for Star Wars day yesterday). And I found all sorts of flowers for spring. This is more a filler activity for when we're between other things we do, but they really like the coloring pages. So, they stay.

9. The next thing I want to try is to teach Natalie how to play video games. Since she's obsessed with being on the computer, it might be a way I can sneak in some learning. All she does is watch videos, but she keeps trying to make videos. Games might be a good middle ground. Anyone know any good games for developmentally disabled young adults? 

10. Doris' "accidents" have begun lessening, but she's still having to change her clothes a couple times a day. You might be surprised at how much restroom time takes up our day. I'm not really trained to be of help at this, so it falls on the instructional aides' shoulders. 

11. The summer program for the adult transition center is two weeks and two days (instead of the full month for the other schools). Since the teacher retired, "my" class might not have a teacher for the program. I keep getting asked if I'm doing the summer for them. I keep saying no. As far as I know, I'm maxed out on days I can cover this class as of the last day of school. 

12. So, my signing up for summer school might not be the best idea. Because I could totally get called that first morning to cover the full two weeks and two days. It's happened before

13. But it's not like I have summer plans. Just resting. It's been a long year. It's been a weird year. (My end of year stats are going to be unlike previous years, even more than the past two years have been.) And I really kind of need some down time.

This has been a Thursday 13. It's a list of 13 things. Check out the link and join in.

25 comments:

  1. My bet is on you'll be called the first day. I'm taking summer off, hope you can get some rest time and have a pleasant break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that might happen, too. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Let's see... what can we do to break the jinx of you being called in for the first weeks of summer... I know, make a concrete plan to work those days. Don't plan anything for those days, even to relax. You'll never be called in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play a lot of video games. You might check out the games at shockwave.com, pogo.com, and games.com to see if any of them might work. They have some sections for family/children games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer school doesn't sound to long. You will still get some time to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. There's summer school. Then the alternative education center is in July. Then the continuation high school starts near the end of July. Then school opens near the beginning of August. So, It's conceivable I could work pretty much all summer. No thanks. At least not this year.

      Delete
    2. Well then, I hope you get the break you would like.

      Delete
  5. You sound busy! I'm looking forward to pool days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you already realized that you jinxed yourself, so I won't say so..oh wait, I just did. So, anyway: boy bands. These are 90's, when my son was growing up: Backstreet Boys (I even love one of their songs, Backstreet's Back) and *NSYNC. Speaking of One Direction, I wonder if there are any Harry Styles songs that might be appropriate. I am not familiar with his music. My developmentally developed bil doesn't do anything on the computer or tablet, including game playing, so I can't help you with that. Anyway, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Developmentally disabled, not developed. Long day, including the semi annual meeting with the agencies that work with him. Sigh....

      Delete
    2. I knew what you meant. Done the same. We did, actually, try Backstreet Boys and NSYNC. She didn't like either. Harry Styles she does like. Unfortunately, the only current boy band I've heard of is BTS. She liked them okay, but not as much as One Direction.

      Delete
  7. You are a brave person. I thot about summer school work once. Just once. I took classes for credential renewal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the list for years. It has only been a short time that I actually get called. And then the pandemic hit.

      Delete
  8. You settled in nicely with this longterm assignment, Liz. I think it’s a toughie and I hope you give yourself time to goof off this summer. Way to go, Teacher Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that was me, Anonymous. I wonder what I did differently.

      Delete
  9. I think you’ll be working this summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, unfortunately, I think I made the wrong choice.

      Delete
  10. Hope you have a great summer! Re. number 9 - if you can get the BBC site in America have a look at their Bitesize page. There are LOADS of activities etc for schools. www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize My sister, who is a teacher, says it's a fabulous resource.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you change your mind and take your name off the list? Sounds like you should try. It's been a long year so having some time to chillax might just be what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be "unavailable" when they call. And yeah, I could change my mind. But I might just be bored enough when the call...

      Delete
  12. Your dedication is honorable, paycheck notwithstanding. And I understand needing downtime after so many rough months. Best wishes on the future.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.