Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Sneakerella Showing

First thing after the students arrive for the day, we do "calendar". I have turned this into almost an hour and a half of activities/lessons that include a bit of "current events". 

The software that the school uses has a breaking news feature. The language is simplified so they can follow along, and there are simple questions that go with each story so I can check for understanding.

The news stories are broken into news, sports, and entertainment. Last Thursday, under entertainment, there was a story about a new movie on Disney + called Sneakerella

We did the story. We did the questions. I led them to figuring out the movie was premiering the next day. And then I clicked on the link to the trailer. 

It's a live-action gender-flipped contemporary version of Cinderella. 

Keyla gave us access to Disney +. The next day was going to be a Friday. And I had an idea.

I asked the students: who wanted to see Sneakerella? Jonas was in. The rest of the class kind of indicated that they wouldn't mind. Jennifer was dubious. 

Jennifer doesn't really like new movies. She wanted to be sure that it would be school-appropriate. (A Disney + movie advertised on our news feed? A retelling of Cinderella?) I assured her it would be fine. She reluctantly gave her assent. 

So, on Friday, after our morning snack/break time, I put the movie on. 

It was cute. I'm a sucker for Cinderella stories, so it was in my wheelhouse. It was a musical, so Jonas was happy. 

Jennifer? She enjoyed it once she got into it.

Jennifer doesn't really take to new movies easily. She was reluctant to see Turning Red when it premiered, but she picked it when we did a different movie Friday

She asked a lot of questions and needed various plot points explained. (This is a special ed class, after all.) But once she realized that it was a "safe" movie, she was willing to sit back and enjoy.

So, I guess to a certain extent, I am helping Jennifer learn when we play movies. It opens her up to new things. And that's good.

I'm posting about this on a Wednesday as Wednesday is my "summer schedule" day to recommend TV shows and movies. And I do recommend it, with the caveat that it's good for what it is. If you enjoy Cinderella as a genre, give it a go. Here's the trailer: 

14 comments:

  1. That does look cute. Glad Jennifer enjoyed it once she got into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look cute to watch. I'm glad Jennifer was ok with it. Thankfully not the true telling of Cinderella where the stepsister cut off a heel and the other their toes only for the birds to pluck out their eyes. I can't recall what happened to mommie deaRest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the original fairy tales were quite grim and brutal. I'll take the Disney-fied version any day.

      Delete
  3. Whoo, am I glad I don't have to watch children's movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I've read about sneaker culture is a bit fascinating so I actually wouldn't mind seeing this. Too bad I don't have Disney plus (and if I did I probably would hardly ever watch it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney plus has Star Wars and the Marvel Universe. Those are the reasons why I'll subscribe one day. Just not today.

      Delete
  5. I’ve watched nearly every Cinderella movie, thanks to Mama. That was her favorite fairy tale and really dug the musical version with Brandy and Whitney Houston. Most likely we’ll see this new Cinderella for Mama. :-) You’re helping Jennifer and the other students a lot more than you think, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correct, you are opening up her view on new movies...good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It's cute, and it plays into the sneaker culture which is totally a thing.

      Delete
  8. I wonder if my grand daughter watch this movie. I heard a few things about the Grims version of Cinderella. It sort of gory.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys are reluctant to what new things also. They have watch the original six Star Wars movies thousands of times but won't sit through the Mandalorian series. You would think they would want to see new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something scary in the new. Will we like it? Will it waste our time? You kind of have to give them no choice sometimes, just starting the thing and making them watch. If they hate it in 20 minutes, then they can stop watching.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.