Monday, March 22, 2021

It's (not quite) Finished!

A very surprising thing happened last week. I bound off the Seven (and a half) Years Cardi...

I tried it on Thursday night, and it felt like it was just about where I wanted it to be. I was just about to finish a pattern repeat, so it seemed like the perfect moment to put a stop to it all. 

But, it's not quite finished. 

All you writers know what happens when you get to the "the end" part of the book. Then it's time to hunker down for the editing and revisions.

What I've got left isn't quite that, but there are still odds and ends to tidy up. I have ends to wind in. The underarms need to be sewn shut... 

And I plan to crochet an edging around the whole thing. 

So, I've got a bit more work before I can call it completely finished. But the main knitting portion of the sweater is complete.

Although... After binding off, I wondered if the collar was too wide. I'm still considering. I figure I want to do a few rows of crochet just to tidy things, and that's probably going to be enough. But maybe...

This is what happens when one creates a sweater as opposed to following a pattern. Decisions get made, and things can change. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

18 comments:

  1. I am sure it will come out very well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...congrats! It is so pretty too. I don't like following patterns either, I like doing my own thing. Might get the jest of the idea from a pattern but to make it mine...well, you know how it is. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what's so great about patterns rather than buying the finished item. You can customize. I always make little adjustments even when I'm knitting from a pattern.

      Delete
  3. Ha, I've had projects like that. It's looking great as it is, but you just have to keep making adjustments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I wind in as many ends while I'm knitting as I can. I may hide the bind off end in the edging. I haven't decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not proficient enough with my crocheting to be able to wing it. If I had more time to consistently crochet I could probably do that. Sounds like you won't be calling this the eight year cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, the not fun part. Even if you use a pattern (and I almost always do) there are those housekeeping items - weaving in the loose ends and so forth. I'll wait patiently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. There's always the finishing stuff to complete before it's complete.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, that's a pretty pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stitch dictionary said it's an old one. I'm attracted to the older stitch patterns for some reason.

      Delete
    2. That's interesting. I love this pattern, as you know. :) It makes sense that finishing a sweater would leave you second guessing, just as in writing. I look forward to updates and the finished garment. Be well!

      Delete
  8. I like the collar and would keep it but you are the one who has to be happy with it. . You are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll see when I get around to adding a border. It'll make it look more finished.

      Delete
  9. Wow, nearly finished!! It's ok if there are just a few stitches to add ;))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.