Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Cutting it Close


The attendance rules for summer school are a bit different than for the regular school year. On a student's third absence, he/she is dropped from the class. And three tardies count as one absence.

But, the student only gets that tardy if he/she is more than 20 minutes late. (Classes are two hours long.)

I was back in the health class. I took roll, I got the class started on their assignment, and I settled in for the duration. At about 20 minutes into class, there was a knock on the door. A student had just arrived.

So, dilemma. He arrived at the 20 minute mark. Roughly. (Depending on which clock I looked at, he was either at 20 or 21 minutes late.) Mark him tardy or not?

While I was pondering this, one of his friends got to talking to him. What happened? He had overslept. But then when he arrived, the entrance he usually used was locked (they lock the gates while classes are in session), and he had to go all the way around...

Overhearing this, my decision was made. He'd have been earlier if the gate wasn't locked. He was trying his hardest to get to class as quickly as possible. I erased the "absent" and marked him present.

Five minutes later another student arrived. And two minutes after that a third showed up. Those two, they got the tardy.

Later, the boy asked me if I had marked him tardy. Or absent. I told him no. I know how important that is, even in the last week of summer school.

Summer school, and the summer school subfiles, is over. The last day of summer school was last Thursday. However, the continuation high school started their school year yesterday. (And I'm scheduled to work today.) So, the subbing stories will continue in August.

39 comments:

  1. I approve. The boy did what he could and it wasn't an excuse that was painted for YOU. He even tried to confirm and demonstrated a worry about his attendance.

    My favorite 'tardy' story from being a kid was genuinely jumping off my bicycle as I got in front of my classroom because I was 15 minutes late (also for oversleeping). My entire class watched me sweat soaked and panting scamper in just a moment before my bicycle crashed into a nearby table. I was promptly told he wouldn't mark me tardy, but go clean up the mess. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeek. Yeah, when you're clearly trying, it's hard to be the stickler for the rules. Because the other type happens, too.

      Delete
  2. I would have made the same decision :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so close. If he'd been a jerk I might have decided differently.

      Delete
  3. That was nice of you. Yes, I would've done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the kid was really trying, he deserved your exercise of discretion

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a nice sub! I hope the kid appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's something I may find out later. It's the sort of thing students will bring up months later. Or not.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, if they're putting forth the effort, then I would've given them a pass too. But if they're consistently cutting it close, then I probably wouldn't have let it slide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like he hadn't missed much class at all, but it is hard for a sub to know for sure.

      Delete
  7. That's fair. Especially if worked while in class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you made the right call with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they were clearly beyond the 20 minutes... (They didn't ask or argue either, so no guilt involved.)

      Delete
  9. I understand not marking him tardy. Good choice I think. As for me selling my upcycle stuff I make...its hard, so many folks doing things like that to make extra money. I really don't do booths at places cause I never know if my body will allow me to do it after paying the fee. I have stepped out and rented a booth for Oct. but that is going to be certain things I have there ....and I really need to get busy making things for it. I have been giving things away to my sis in laws and nieces just to get rid of them. I am trying to weed out craft stuff. I have a room full of it. I think it has come to a time in my life that I need to stop working on so many different kinds of things to and focus on my painting, and photography...and stop thinking of projects for the home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not booths (which I understand can be iffy) why not online? Shipping might be tricky, but you could totally work that on your own time frames.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like things were conspiring to make that kid late. Good thing he had an understanding sub.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good thing you were listening. He really didn't deserve the tardy. =) Often the injustices of this world stem from people no listening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. logic, logic, logic but kindness is its own religion isn't it? I'm sure your students will appreciate your kind logic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good call. I would've done the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It never hurts to cut kids some slack, especially when their intentions are good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you extended grace to him. It's those little things that sometimes make more of a difference than we realize.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you and good for him that he really was trying to get to class as fast as he could. I have had clients who have been late which is usually due to them getting lost so I get that. What I hate is when they show up 15 minutes late but come in with a Tim Hortons coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if they had time to get coffee, they had time to get there on time. I hear ya.

      Delete
  17. Hopefully he'll remember your kindness and makes a drastic change in his behaviour towards other people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your posts about subbing are precious. You were so generous and "forgiving" to him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's very generous, hopefully that will stay with him fr a long time. Grace is everything. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww. You are very fair. He will try harder now I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like you made the right call with all of them.


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! That was so nice of you. Can I appreciate it for him? I mean maybe he appreciated it, I don't know. Either way, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.