Friday, May 24, 2013

Not Going Visiting Again

First period, 8th grade science. A student walked in. He said he was looking for the teacher, but when he didn't find her he "needed something" from a student in class. And I instantly remembered him.

Remember a few weeks back when I covered an 8th grade science class for a week and a day? He came "visiting" several times. I think I saw him daily. A couple times each. Floating into class. Talking to other students. And making a nuisance of himself while I tried to get the class under control.

I gave Richard two minutes to get whatever it was and then I kicked him out. Funny, but I didn't see anything change hands. In fact, it looked like he was just shooting the breeze with the student he "needed something" from.

Richard returned third period. He explained that he needed the day's assignment because he wasn't going to be in class today. I pointed out the assignment on the board and kicked him out again.

Richard returned fourth period. This time, it was because he was enrolled in the class. It was before the bell, but he needed to "get something" (he said his binder) from another room. Figuring he could make it there and back in a minute or so, I let him go. He wandered in to class five minutes after the bell.

Ten minutes later he approached me. He was hungry and needed something to eat. He asked if he could go to the vending machines to get something.

I said no.

Was he telling me the truth? Possibly. But considering the history, there was no way I was letting him out of class again. Besides, I reminded him that lunch was right after, and he had less than an hour before he got time off to eat.

Five minutes later Richard needed to use the restroom.

It was maybe ten minutes later when Richard begged for a restroom pass again.

Now Richard was sure I hated him. I explained that since he had been roaming, I wasn't going to let him out of class.

Lunch came and went. Richard returned. (Did I forget to mention that he had the teacher for two periods? One period was math, the other science.)

We were in class maybe ten minutes, and Richard asked to go to the vending machines. I was shocked. Why hadn't he eaten at lunch? He explained he had lunch detention.

No, I did not let him go. I know, I'm mean.

9 comments:

  1. I would figure out some kind of job for him to do and use that as the caveat to allowing him to wander. "Yes, you can go but only after you do this." Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are much more tolerant than I would be. Which is probably why I'm not teaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they'd let them eat during lunch detention. Of course, I doubt this kid is big on truthfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like this kid has had the run of the school. Good for you for cracking down on him. He needs to be taught that he has to actually sit and STAY in a class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mean? That's sounds like much needed discipline. Seriously? *shaking head*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. But you should have seen how he reacted.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.