Monday, September 24, 2012

Where is Michigan?

7th grade English. The entire lesson plan consisted of going over the 20 words on their new spelling list. I was supposed to discuss the words' meanings with them.

For the most part, I asked them to come up with definitions. I figured that 7th graders should know what a penguin is. Language should also be a familiar word. And everyone volunteered to be the one to define guacamole.

(Other words weren't so familiar to them, like chauffeur, whirlpool, and exotic.)

Then we got to Michigan. I assumed they'd know it is a state, so instead I asked them to tell me where it is.

"In the USA."

Um, okay. Could you be a little more specific?

On the one hand, I'm glad that they didn't think it was in Africa. But it would have been nice if they had a better handle on where it is located. I resigned myself to being the one to give a better description for them (alas, no maps in the room).

Then 5th period walked in. I asked the same question, but this time I got a different answer.

"It's next to Ohio."

Nice. The rest of the class pointed out that the boy who provided that answer was born in Ohio. As if that somehow made the answer less right.

Unfortunately, 6th period gave the same answer as the rest of the day. Although, now they all have a much better idea of where Michigan is.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised they didn't know where Michigan was. It's the home of the 47% moocher class identified by Romney. All white kids should be raised to understand their privilege depends on the Republicans making slaves out of people. And that usually begins in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I'd be able to describe where it is either, although I know where it is. It's in the Midwest, surrounded by the great lakes and Canada...I couldn't get more specific.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.