Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Find a Book

Once a month I post to another blog. It's connected to my online shop and has nothing to do with subbing or writing, but it's fun all the same. Please stop by and check it out. For today...

I used to have a MySpace account. I started my blog there. But after I had a few too many technical difficulties, I moved the blog here. I have since closed the MySpace account. I hate to lose all of my blogs from that time, so from time to time I repost them here. This one is from April 4, 2007.  

I had the business/computers class today. I like these classes because I usually learn something new. And since I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers, I can usually fake it with the novices and look smarter than I am.

6th period was the desktop publishing class. They had a book cover project. They were to take a book that they found on amazon.com and design a new cover for it. They had a paper with all of the instructions and requirements.

I was watching to make sure that they weren't doing stuff they shouldn't be doing--email, general Internet surfing, going on myspace... It was kind of boring for me. Then I'd make a circuit around the room, watching each student more closely. So, it was the third time around the room that I realized that one girl was still looking through the books. It was time to ask what was up.

She explained. She found a book that she wanted to work with yesterday, but she couldn't remember the title. She was going through all the possible choices hoping to recognize the orange book cover.

The teacher had given them three possible genres from which to pick their books. From what I observed I believe that they were mysteries/thrillers, literature, and science fiction/fantasy. This girl had been going through all three categories, all pages, hoping to recognize her cover.

I asked her if she had done anything with it. Well, no. She couldn't find any of the work that she'd done on it the previous day. So, why not find a new book and start over? That was out of the question.

We attempted to do another search using key words from what she remembered about the book. But by then there were only three minutes left in the period.

If it's not one thing, it's another. At least she was on task. Sort of.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in college, I took a business administration class that was pretty much (unknown to me) an intro to computers. One class period was spent learning how to use the mouse. I kid you not. Since I already knew how to use the mouse, I decided to skip playing solitaire (how we were supposed to learn to use the mouse) and got online to a chat room.

    Well, when the professor came around to see how I was doing, he saw what I was doing and instead of being reprimanded for not doing class work, I was asked to show him how I had done that.

    It's pretty cool to think there are schools that offer desktop publishing courses. Curriculum has evolved so much since I was in school. And boy, does that make me sound older than I actually am.


    M.J. Fifield
    My Pet Blog

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.