Friday, October 18, 2024

Familiar Faces, Part 2

When I left the seventh grade science class, I told the kiddos that it wasn't goodbye. It was "see you around". Because I would see them again. And again. And again.

Friday. I was asked to cover an extra period, seventh grade history. And of the class of 33, I counted 18 names that I recognized (and once I was in the class, I noted a couple more faces that I recognized without remembering their names). Oh, and the history classroom was basically next door to the science classroom.

The good news was I knew more than half the class. The bad news was I knew more than half the class.

They were wound up, but it was the last period on a Friday of a minimum day, so I kinda knew that was coming. 

I caught two students with phones. Myles was there, but he kept his head down this time. Edgar kept calling me over for various reasons, ending with telling me he really wanted to learn to speak Korean. 

(And Keith, who was referenced in yesterday's post, was in this class. Without his twin.)

I'm rather surprised at how many names I learned in my thirty days in the science class. But it's helped me a lot. If I keep getting to cover seventh grade classes, I may even remember their names for longer than a school year.

6 comments:

  1. Good news and bad news, but I hope more good news. Hopefully, having that initial long term assignment makes the rest of the year a little easier, if having the same problem kiddos again and again doesn't get old first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The devil you know is better than the angel you don't 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always the ones who stand out, for good or bad, you tend to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd think that knowing you as they do, they wouldn't try to get away with stuff when you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Knowing so many ahead of time, could probably give you time to prepare....mentally. Are the ones you know, acting the same as they did in the other class? I wonder because being in a class you like vs one you don't like can make students behave differently...or at least it did back in my day...you know, the dark ages.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.