Thursday, July 23, 2009

Comfort Levels

It reminds me of an episode of the failed sitcom It's Like, You Know.... The gang went to see some woman in the valley (for what reason I don't recall). They were so hot they were miserable. They couldn't understand why the woman seemed comfortable.

Then later in the episode, the woman from the valley came to their place. And she was freezing.

The continuation high school is back in session. Today is my first official working day of the new school year. While it's been a fairly mild summer, it's still summer, and it's still warm.

The school is several miles more inland than where my home is. There is a temperature differential. It's a bit warmer more inland than it is closer to the coast.

I'm already at a disadvantage. I'm wearing more clothing than I'm used to--I'm in a shirt with sleeves instead of a tank top, capri pants instead of shorts, and I'm actually wearing shoes.

So, I turned on the air conditioning. It is set at about 72 degrees, so it's not unreasonable. But still, the kiddos complained that it was too cold. Too cold?

That's when the sitcom popped into my head. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that these kids live in a slightly warmer place than where I live. They've gotten used to warmer temperatures, so what I consider comfortable is too cold for them. Perhaps 72 degrees is too cold for them.

Then again, only a few students were complaining about the cold. The rest complained that someone had turned off the a/c.

I should be used to this by now. No matter what temperature I have the room at, one of them always complains. I can't win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.