Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Breaking USPS

My current* congressman sent out a fundraising email and referenced a threat to vote-by-mail. Via NPR: 

The U.S. Postal Service could "derail" the midterm election if it continues rushing out "untested" technology as part of President Trump's push to restrict mail-in voting, a newly released whistleblower report warns.

With voting by mail for the midterms set to officially start this week, key parts of the USPS plan for carrying out Trump's directives, including requirements for states to comply, remain blocked for now by a court order in the legal fight over the president's executive order.

Still, the mailing agency has been preparing for months to launch an online portal that would allow state election officials to submit absentee voters' names and ballot envelope barcodes required by the now-blocked rule.

This is worrying in California as they mail us all mail-in ballots. I have really enjoyed this convenience. Because of course they want to break all the good things that we have. 

People are fighting back, and hopefully these new rules won't be implemented this year. It's all about making new rules to break the system. They claim it's to prevent voter fraud, but voter fraud is such a minor problem. It's just an excuse. 

So, pay attention if you're doing vote-by-mail. They want to disenfranchise you. Don't let them. 

*After this election he'll be my former congressman as the redistricting puts me in a different district. 

16 comments:

  1. It's all so stupid. I've walked mine down to the ballot box the last few times. I'm just going to continue that, luckily it's not far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie here: I too, have dropped my mail-in ballots at a local ballot box (There is one near our county library). I read somewhere that they should not be sent in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m going to drop mine in a ballot box this time. The USPS sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many disabled people will be disenfranchised? Or people in long term care facilities? They just can't necessarily drive to a ballot drop box. That's just the tip of the iceberg (so to speak) in states that don't even have ballot drop-offs like my New York State. (We do have no excuse absentee voting). And never mind the immediate threat of government knowing your voting business by harvesting your personal information via the USPS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always vote in personal, except during covid. Both of my sons lives in state that everyone vote by mail. There blue states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I don't mail mine (USPS), I drop them in the election ballot boxes. I like that option more than ever now, I don't trust the post office. Some say how do they know who you'd be voting for? Well, we get fliers for candidates for what party we are registered to, right? They see that, so they know.

      Delete
  6. This kind of vote-manipulation seems to be becoming common. Something of the sort is happening in India too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happens in my country too. It’s frustrating to see good systems questioned instead of strengthened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been listening to Commander-in-Chief many times. I am certain he doesn't understand what mail-in balloting is. He thinks they sent out a thousand blank ballots with no names on them. Anyone can send them back in and vote hundreds of times. Sometimes I don't think he's the sharpest tool

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything to stop people from voting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - I sincerely hope common sense and decency win through. With thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oregon is 100% vote by mail, or drop in the ballot boxes. I've dropped them in the box by the library, but usually I drive to the county elections office in town. They have a box at the street to just drive by and drop ballots into. There's always a line. A lot of people who don't trust mail in voting think it's more casual than it is. A close relative changed her signature when young (as young women do!) and she got a letter to come down to the office to verify it was her and leave a updated signature. They do check signatures.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.